White-Rogers issues

The Tank White-Rogers issues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Windwood
    Participant

Hello and thanks for the opportunity to post in your forum.

I have a 50 Gal. Rheem Power Vent (PVG) on propane. This morning, after a cold shower, I went down to the basement to investigate and the control was showing Error 6 (A&B lit up). I followed instructions to reset, the heater lit and burned for a long time, then shut down and tried to relight. The hot surface igniter got red hot, but the burner would not relight. I unplugged it, and after letting it sit for awhile, I plugged it back in and it lit as normal.
    No one has been inside this unit, so, I’m assuming all the alignments are correct for the flame rod and igniter. There is no obvious damage to any parts.
    Any ideas?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Did the error code have a reason, like “vent problems” or “overheated combustion chamber”? With that info, we can likely help.

Yours, Larry

Windwood
    Participant

Thanks, Larry. I don’t know what the problem is. I just have the “A” & “B” lights lit up which indicates “Code 6” I read about the causes and I can’t substantiate any of them as being an obvious problem and don’t know how any of them could be present, other than the flame sensor being dirty. I’m going to pull that today and see if that makes any difference. I don’t see any difficulties with gas pressure, electrical supply, or flue or vent restrictors, so it must be either the flame sensor (which doesn’t seem likely to me) or the valve is gone bad. Isn’t there some sort of solenoid in the valve that lets the gas pass through to the burner? QUESTION: If the burner will light initially, and only fails to relight a second time, can a dirty flame sensor cause that to happen?

How would I know if the combustion chamber has issues? Don’t know how to monitor the temp in there.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I found this troubleshooting chart: http://www.rheem.com/docs/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=a747ed35-a705-4fe1-9da0-7ab8a80fbbdb

It might help. 😉

Yours, Larry

Windwood
    Participant

Thank you. I have that already. Yesterday, I removed the valve and burner assembly and cleaned the burner. It had a bit of rust debris settled on top of it and I polished that. I also cleaned the flame sensor with steal wool and checked the gasket and put it all back together. I haven’t had any trouble since. Keep your fingers crossed. I have to say, I don’t think the sensor was actually dirty, but, maybe rubbing it with steel wool helped remove some tarnish. Maybe that was the issue. We’ll see what the coming days bring. thank you all for your help.

Windwood
    Participant

Put it all back together and everything worked fine until this evening. Not messing about anymore, just going to buy a whole new valve and burner assembly and call it a day. Thanks for the help folks. I do appreciate having people to talk to.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: If there is a viewing port you can watch the pilot and main burner flames from, it would be good to see just what they look like. If the flame is overly yellow or floats off the burner some or just seems lazy, it is likely an air flow problem. Replacing parts won’t help with poor air flow, so it might be good to check the flame before spending money on parts that might not fix things. 😕

Yours, Larry

Windwood
    Participant

Well, I think the flame looks really good. Blue with yellow tips and consistent all around, but where could there be an air problem. I mean, where does the combustion air come from? Would it be the sniffer? Could there be a clog somewhere? I don’t see anyplace where air comes in. I looked at the drawings and I just don’t see it, so, where does it get air from? They do talk about making sure there is sufficient air, which there is in my case as the heater is not enclosed.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Here is an image from the specs, Note on the lowest image, arrows (air) coming in from the right side. The holes you should see on the lower side of the tank are the air inlet. The “maintenance free” claim doesn’t acknowledge the flame arrestor getting dirty. I’d look there first. 😎

Yours, Larry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page