Whirlpool heat traps

The Tank Whirlpool heat traps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Spieg
    Participant

I purchased a Whirlpool 50 gal electric water heater from Lowe’s today and ready to install but wasn’t sure whether to use the blue plastic inserts that are inside the hot and cold water nipples on top. I believe these are part of the heat trap that I can see about 5″ into the sleeve. I called Whirlpool and the rep there told me to take them out if worried about water pressure or scaly build-up. I don’t see anyway to move the black rubber flap valves at the bottom of the blue sleeves and not sure if I should pull the entire sleeve out. I am really not sure if I have to remove them at all but don’t want to tear it back down to remove after installing the heater if a problem arises. Anyone have a comment, advice as to what to do? This new heater is replacing a heater that was originally installed back in 1989 and imagine that it didn’t have the heat traps so don’t know what to expect using them. Thanks!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: In all likelihood, you’ll not notice any difference with your hot water if you leave the heat traps in place. However, if you have marginal low water pressure, you could find it even less. It might take a bit longer to get hot water particularly if the heater is in a basement with hot water uses above. It sounds like you have the rubber flap type of heat trap, so you should not experience any noise from them as used to happen with the ball type valve.

On the plus side, you stand to save a bit on the heating cost 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page