Where's the anode?

The Tank Where's the anode?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    klimshelf
    Participant

The manual says the anode is combined with the hot water outlet. I disconnected the outlet pipe and pulled out a plastic cap but couldn’t see how to access the anode to inspect it. How is this done?

Attached files

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The anode is below the nipple and a part of it. You can see an example of a combo anode on my Anodes page in Water Heater Basics. On the down side, Bradford White uses a really short nipple with its anodes and you can count on wrecking the threads when you try to remove it, so have a replacement handy — hopefully bought from me. My nipples are longer and don’t present this problem.

Randy Schuyler

klimshelf
    Participant

Thanks, Randy. You can be sure that when I need an anode I’ll get it from you. Since the tank is only 9 mos. old I’m thinking the anode is still ok – but then, the lower element (shown in another post) was already bad and had to be replaced.

Can you tell me what purpose that plastic plug with the rubber flap on the top of the anode serves?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It’s important to understand that function and longevity are two completely different issues. Function is elements on an electric. I’m not sure why an element would fail that early, but the anode won’t be affected in any way by that issue. Odds are it’s in good shape and you won’t have to think about it for another five years.

The flap is a heat trap. The federal government got involved in making water heaters more efficient a decade ago and manufacturers have used heat-trap nipples to meet some of the requirements. You can see our idea of how to make passive heat traps here: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Troubleshooting/lingopages/water-heater-heat-traps.html

The heat trap nipples sometimes malfunction, so we don’t like them that much.

Randy Schuyler

imalil
    Participant

Hello-

Is there a detailed video in existence that shows an anode being removed and replaced on a Bradford White? I can’t find one anywhere. Seems this would solve most of our problems.

Thanks.

imalil
    Participant

Everything I click on in ‘water heater basics’ gets flagged as a trojan by my antivirus. Does this happen to everyone?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It will if you have Avast antivirus or something like it. I use software to prevent key pages from being printed or copied, and it sets off warnings in one or two AV programs. There’s no virus. I got mortally weary of people plagiarizing my material.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page