whats your thoughts on-

The Tank whats your thoughts on-

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gerry gill
    Participant

I plumbed my waterheater in the bottom by removing the drain valve and feeding in thru a tee fitting (so that the drain valve could be reinstalled). seems to keep alot of the sediment from settling..i flush and replace my anode regularly as i’m on a quest to prove a waterheater will last a long time if maintained..so far 10 years..do you think that plumbing the cold into the bottom aids or was just overkill?—gerry gill, gill plumbing..

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Safety is more important than longevity. That said, I see both pros and cons to plumbing the cold into the bottom. Sediment might be stirred up more, but it might not matter if you don’t run enough water to drive the sediment out the hot outlet at the top of the tank. The biggest con is in the event of a main line break, your water heater could be drained, causing a potentially explosive situation.

Changing the anode works well to keep tanks going. We have a few heaters out there over fifty years old now. Thirty years old is common.

Don’t forget the relief valve. A working anode will attempt to protect the brass relief valve as it is a noble metal. The valve will become plugged with solid calcium carbonate. So test it yearly and replace it if it fails to behave as it should.

Yours, Larry

gerry gill
    Participant

I installed a vacuum breaker in the cold feed to the heater and its higher than the heater..thats code around here since the siphon hole in the dip tube was essentially bypassed..

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Thanks for doing it right!

Yours, Larry

Hmm, another advantage of this technique would be that you can pull the dip tube and stick another anode in its place. This would be useful on tanks like Bradford-White (about the only brand anyone carries in eastern PA) where there’s only a combo anode.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page