weird fitting found

The Tank weird fitting found

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    oderus
    Participant

I have a GAC tank next to my water heater,and just recently knoticed the media has been coming out of the valve at the bottom of the water heater and also at every spigot in the house,so I poped off the control valve on the GAC tank,and pulled the riser out and found that somebody spliced in a copper pipe with copper wire inside fitted with what looks to be metal bushings on the end to conect to the pvc riser tube,the metal bushings were brittle and fell apart,and the copper tube was patina green with silver sparkles!nasty looking,this has been out for 4 days and the tds has droped 600 points the water does not smell bad anymore,the worst was the washing machine it had a foul smell,the water was very metalic and hard on the skin,after looking around this site I am going to take the rod out tomarrow from the water heater

and inspect it,I am wondering if this pipe that was found has contaminated my heater,should I replace it

oderus
    Participant

Ok took out the metal rod on top of the reem tank and it was completely bare,so I just got back from lows with a 50 gal whirlpool gas tank hope this one will last longer

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I gather you’re softening your water. Check the anode on the new tank every year and expect to change anodes more often than if you didn’t soften.

As to the rest of your post, I stayed silent because I didn’t feel qualified to comment. Some others who hang out here may, but you’ll have to wait until they log in.

Randy Schuyler

oderus
    Participant

Hi Randy

Thank you for the reply,no water softener hooked up,I own one but it has never been hooked up,we are thinking about a whole house ro system,the plan is to fill a tank in the garage with ro water and have a pump line hooked to the inlet of the water heater,we are building it ourselves and in the planing stages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page