Water Heater Under Water

The Tank Water Heater Under Water

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mkaraman
    Participant

I have this gas heater installed in a small crawl space/basement and found 24″ of water there, after some heavy rains and a failed sump pump. Needless to say the electronics and gas valve have been under water for a day or so. What are the chances this thing will fire back up again? I will take a heat gun to it tomorrow to try and dry things out, but I am not going to expect much. Any one with comments???

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Go to the top of the list and click on the Tanklets link and look for When Water Heaters Get Wet.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: All new controls (which this heater must have) will likely cost as much as a new tank. Repairing your unit can leave you with the problems that a once-wet heater may have. Less water might have left the heater salvageable, but two feet~~~, it’s problematic 😕

Yours, Larry

undee70ss
    Participant
    mkaraman
    Participant

Believe it or not, this thing is running again! It was under 20″ of water. Heated the circuit board, put an electric heater to dry out the transformer & tank thermostat, drained out the safety switch, put them all back together and hot water again! I know I should not count on this as a long term fix, but at least it will buy me some time. I will call the mfg, the plumbing supply house where this came from (a friend) and insurance on Monday and see what they recommend or will cover. Thanks for the comments.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Please do let us know what they say. Thanks!

Yours, Larry

mkaraman
    Participant

Here is an update of almost 2 weeks ago when my natural gas tank was under water… Dried it out and it is still working!! The plumbing supplier said to just keep it as is, but had no idea when/if it would die. This is a 10 year old tank with a 6 year warranty, so he said that I might be looking to replace it around the 12 year mark any way. I am just going to keep an eye on it.

Checked with insurance (USAA), they would replace it but of course it would be a clailm against my policy. Not worth the chance of this claim affecting a long term rate.

FYI: Had a $500 deductible. Changed my homeowners policy to $2,500 and saved $409 a year. As long as I do not have a claim in 5 years, I will be saving alot. 🙂

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I think I’d also ask the manufacturer for their opinion. To me, this is not just a question of whether it will run, but also one of whether it’s safe.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page