Water Heater Replacement Installation Correction

The Tank Water Heater Replacement Installation Correction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BTU
    Participant

This 10+ year old water heater serves four 3/4″ pex loops filled with 40% antifreeze, 60% water in an 1100 square foot well insulated workshop. It’s in a utility room that’s ” lower than the shop floor. It’s back drafting and based on the pile of rust in the bottom I’m sure it’s time for replacement.

1. How can I improve the draft considering the location of the vent stack?

2. Should it be elevated 18″ above the utility room floor, or 18″ above the shop floor elevation?

3. What else should be done?

Overview (shop floor @ right):

Backdraft:

Rust:

View To East:

View To South:

jakeson
    Participant

Where is the water heater drawing its air for combustion? The utility room? Is there fresh air available from outside to this space? Is there something in the utility room creating a negative pressure? Perhaps there is a downdraft being created due to the height of the chimney in relation to the roof.

BTU
    Participant

Combustion source is the utility room and shop. The door near the heater isn’t sealed at the bottom and the next room (west) is cold storage vented to outside.
    There door between the shop and utility room hasn’t been installed yet.
    If the vent stack is too short to work in that location how high should it be?

jakeson
    Participant

Consult your local code for vent height requirements. They may require it to be 2-3 ft higher than anything within 10ft to avoid venting problems.
    Maybe a power vented unit would work better as a replacement? Again, check with your local code and the installation manual of any model you would consider as a replacement before moving forward.

BTU
    Participant

Thanks, Jakeson.

jakeson
    Participant

I also want to add that backdrafting or spillage of combustion products into the space is a dangerous condition and should be addressed right away. You may want to consult a pro on this one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page