Water Heater Problem: Base Leak and No Hot Water

The Tank Water Heater Problem: Base Leak and No Hot Water

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dave64
    Participant

Hello,

My water heater has a leak at the base. I tried to dry the area with a towel but it leaked again. Furthermore, I am experiencing a loss of hot water in all of my taps. This is odd because there was hot water this morning. It seems as though the ‘overflow pipe’ is not the cause of the leak nor are any surrounding things the cause. I have never experienced this problem before.

I tried to read up online regarding water heater problems but can’t tell if this is a dangerous/deadly situation. Ideas/solutions regarding the problem as well as the dangers posed would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

mortimer
    Participant

Dave64 wrote:

Hello,

My water heater has a leak at the base. I tried to dry the area with a towel but it leaked again. Furthermore, I am experiencing a loss of hot water in all of my taps. This is odd because there was hot water this morning. It seems as though the ‘overflow pipe’ is not the cause of the leak nor are any surrounding things the cause. I have never experienced this problem before.

I tried to read up online regarding water heater problems but can’t tell if this is a dangerous/deadly situation. Ideas/solutions regarding the problem as well as the dangers posed would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

Hello Dave,

Let me say that that I am *not* in the trade. So take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I am having problems with the water heater where I live. Has made the topic *more* interesting.

I guess a few questions would be appropriate.

[list]

• Does the water heater run on gas or electric?[/*]
  • What brand/model?
    [/*]
  • How old is it?[/*]
  • Do you think that it is a leak or condensation?[/*]
  • How much water are we talking about?[/*]Iy you have a digital camera you can attach a picture or two. Worth a thousand words…

[grain of salt alert] They sell products for closing small holes in car radiators. This might be appropriate. Hopefully someone will give a second opinion.

Dave64
Participant

I had called the plumber last night so he will come and check it this morning. If I do need to replace my water heater, what company/brand makes good water heaters?

lmsat
Participant

David, I am going through a similiar problem. I had some problems that ultimately led to having to replace the heater. If you go to the Home page on this site and then chekc out the section on buying a heater you will find some excellent information. Good luck.

Randy Schuyler
Keymaster

The product that plugs holes in radiators won’t work on a water heater. If it is really leaking from the tank, it is a goner. However, sometimes drain valves and temperature/pressure relief valves leak, too, so it’s best to be certain.

There is information under Know-how, elsewhere on the site for checking the tank’s condition and maybe figuring out where the water is coming from.

As to having no hot water, if there is no hot water at any tap, there are three possibilities: a problem with the cold-water shutoff valve on the incoming line to the water heater, blockage in the piping downstream of the heater, or blockage where hot water exits the tank.

Hopefully by the time you read this you’ll have some answers. Let us know what you find out.

Randy Schuyler

mortimer
Participant

Dave64 wrote:

I had called the plumber last night so he will come and check it this morning. If I do need to replace my water heater, what company/brand makes good water heaters?

The landlord really likes A O Smith. He is having one installed where I live today. I would second the other post about checking the FAQs.

Edit: Decided to change the thermostat instead of replacing. Warm again!

Ej
Participant

mortimer wrote:

The landlord really likes A O Smith. He is having one installed where I live today. I would second the other post about checking the FAQs.

Edit: Decided to change the thermostat instead of replacing. Warm again!

Landlords are that way. So when the water damage occurs out comes the home warranty.

Dave your leak could have put out the pilot or worse depending on the model. Since water travels downhill all leaks in a heater usally end up at the base. Check your hoses on top of the heater for any wetness. Check your mfg warranty for coverage. If it is electric check for leaking elements. How old is your heater and what is the model number?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page