Water Heater pilot goes out on Windy, rainy days.

The Tank Water Heater pilot goes out on Windy, rainy days.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MelWill
    Participant

Thank you for Welcoming me to your forum. I have/had 2 gas water heaters each presenting with same problem. Currently the second one, like the first, the pilot continues to go out on windy/rainy days. The thermocouple is fine and the shield approx. 2″ above water heater is fine. When I re-light pilot it becomes a blue flame. I can’t see any issues from inside our water heater, inside condo…that’s the question: Live on ground floor condo and building has one condo story above. The outside flue 2 stories up does have a shield on it but am wondering if the venting within building/flue is the problem. As this is an owned condo, I’m responsible for paying expenses within my condo – the Association is responsible for outside issues. Thots, pls, I would appreciate. Thank You Very Much!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Is yours the sort of heater where you stick a match into the combustion chamber to light it or the type where you push a button to make a spark for lighting?
    Yours, Larry

MelWill
    Participant

Thank You for asking, Larry. On the dial I push in dial pointed on Pilot while pressing ignitor in and out until red blinking light begins and slowly return dial to begin to heat temperature settings. It seems to light up fine, and stay fine until windy/rainy weather then blows out. Is well ventilated in large closet – keeping the door 1/2 way open.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I was trying to determine if you had the more modern FVIR type heater and it sounds like you do. They have a sealed combustion chamber, so should be harder to blow out. Is there a grill in the floor or a pipe down from the ceiling to provide combustion air for the heater? Perhaps there are grills in the door? I’m just trying to understand where gusts of wind could come from. If wind is blowing down the vent pipe, it has to be coming out at the heater and going someplace. Perhaps staying close to the heater when it’s windy will give you some clues about how the pilot is being blown out and what the source of the breeze is.
    I don’t know if your control has provision for this, but older controls often has a pilot adjustment, so it could be made bigger or smaller. If yours has that, you could increase the size of the pilot flame, making it harder to blow out. Also, if the flame is only touching the thermocouple a little, increasing flame size or bending the assembly so the pilot hits the thermocouple better could help. That last one might be best done by a technician familiar with that sort of work.
    Another thing to try is calling the manufacturer and asking if this control has problems as you describe. If you’re lucky, it could be a warranty issue! 😎
    Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page