Water heater leaking around themostat. American Standard e62-50h. (Photo attached)

The Tank Water heater leaking around themostat. American Standard e62-50h. (Photo attached)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jackie1
    Participant

Hey guys, maybe you can help. Woke up to no hot water. Checked my hot water heater which is an American Standard e62-50h. It’s kinda wet around the bottom thermostat. I took both metal plates off the unit as there are two thermostats, one at the top, one at the bottom. The top one looks fine, but is wet around it, and the bottom one the wires all all corroded. Maybe it’s leaking down from the top? Anyway, I turned braker off/on, then hit reset button on the tank and now have hot water again but see my photo please.

Need some advice. This unit is about 9 years old maybe. Only being used by one person in the house.

Attached files

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It’s ominous, on an older heater, when fittings that have been tight start to leak. I’d say there is a good chance that you’re going to be in the market for a new water heater. Function is not the same as longevity. You need to attend to both things. I suggest that you go to waterheaterrescue.com and plow through the Basics section. If you do that, and do the maintenance we advocate, this will never happen to you again.

Randy Schuyler

Jackie1
    Participant

elenano wrote:

It’s ominous, on an older heater, when fittings that have been tight start to leak. I’d say there is a good chance that you’re going to be in the market for a new water heater. Function is not the same as longevity. You need to attend to both things. I suggest that you go to waterheaterrescue.com and plow through the Basics section. If you do that, and do the maintenance we advocate, this will never happen to you again.

Randy Schuyler

Ok, thanks So, my electrician came over to check it out and said the top element is leaking. He said you might as well replace both top and bottom with SS ones. That isn’t expensive, or I can get a whole new unit for around $300+250 install. Decisions… I haven’t looked at the link you suggested yet, but still wondering what to do…

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t want to stampede anybody into buying a water heater, but I doubt if the electrician knows about anodes and rust. Anodes get used up with time and then water heaters rust out. It’s one thing if an element burns out; that’s function. But when it starts leaking, that says to me that the anode is probably consumed and exposed steel around the fittings inside the tank are rusting. You’ll know soon enough if that’s the case because something else will start leaking.

Randy Schuyler

Jackie1
    Participant

Ok, thank you again. I’ve been doing a little more reading about anodes, and I guess I should try to remove mine and see how bad it is? Then I can report back? I have two hot water heaters (one for 2nd floor too) and turned this one off for now.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Then you should definitely read my Anodes page. The whole focus of my website is keeping water heaters going by changing anodes and controlling sediment buildup. You have to learn about it before you can do anything about it. My own water heater, thus serviced, is now 34 years old.

Randy Schuyler

Jackie1
    Participant

Wow, that’s amazing. I read through your site and I’m not sure which anode I’d need for my model American. I don’t have any smelly water, and aren’t sure which I’d need.

Also, I was going to buy 2 SS elements, but I can’t seem to find those on your page, but I can get those locally I guess?

Jackie1
    Participant

In my original pic, you can see how the metal piece that the element screws into is all rusted. I can’t seem to find out where to buy that piece? I would assume Id’ want to replace it?

It looks similiar to this:

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’d have a look at the anode before doing anything else. If the anode is largely gone, it would be a waste of money to do any other work to the heater. 😉

Yours, Larry

Jackie1
    Participant

Everything worked out. Got two new elements, the double folded back kind. All good.

Now, this piece on the lower element is rusted in half and there is a ground wire on it. I think it’s used to hold the thermostat in place.

Where can I get this piece? It’s not even shown on the parts diagram for my water heater:

I think this piece is used to help keep the thermostat against the tank.

edwardh1
    Participant

on my rheum that piece was rheem only part $4, 1 800 call to Rheem, the local rhee m dealer did NOT sell them, sent me to a local hardware (master) store, said they sold them, they did not, Rheem charged $5, plus $8.75 freight – tho it was 2 day
    the piece it slips onto is part of the tank itself

good pix

I thought it amazing that the Rheem dealer, in business for 30 years, did not stock at least one. whats their cost? $2

Jackie1
    Participant

Thanks! I found it here!!!

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/3900048/0042/159.html

Now, what’s strange is, my part has a ground wire attached to it. Interesting….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page