water heater installation affecting condo central heating system?

The Tank water heater installation affecting condo central heating system?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    steven1971
    Participant

I had a water heater replaced by a plumber about a year and a half ago. I recently turned on the heat to my condo unit and noticed cool air blowing out. I was told that the water heater installation has something to do with it because a section was capped off. So, that section (in picture) should be uncapped and then reconnected to the water heater drain valve (originally I think that was how the connection was). Any thoughts? Also, should both of the blue turn valves (in picture) be opened after the connection? Thank you.

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: We can answer lots of questions, but in this case you are better off getting a HVAC technician out to look at the system and figure out how to correctly hook it up. It becomes a health and safety concern and we just don’t have enough information to give good advice here. 😕

Yours, Larry

watercomfort
    Participant

It would be helpful to see a picture of the whole tank.

Also you mentioned that it was a year to a year and a half ago. What did you do for heat last Year?? If it worked properly last year then it may not be a problem with the water heater.
    Although that does not explain why the pipe is capped and not connected to something.

steven1971
    Participant

I think one can’t attach multiple pics at one time, so I am doing it separately.

Attached files

steven1971
    Participant

pic

Attached files

steven1971
    Participant

pic

Attached files

steven1971
    Participant

We haven’t used the heat for awhile. From what I recall, it may have been used prior to the replacement of the old water heater. Thanks.

watercomfort
    Participant

which connection at the top of the tank is cold water supply.

Its possible that the capped off pipe was the cold water supply to the previous tank and the plumber has reconfigured it to the top of the tank. Or it could be a recirc line.

I am not a plumber but I do not like the pipework coming from the relief valve. I would say that it is not to code. I would call the plumber back to change it.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’ll guess the prior tank had two ports for hooking up the space heating equipment and the replacement tank doesn’t. You might be able to pull hot water from the top of the tank to go to the space heating equipment and then tie into the drain port to return the cooled water. But, why did the plumber who installed the heater abandon the space heating side of things? Was there a problem with it?

And, yes, the relief valve is piped wrong. Code requires that there be no traps in the line, which you plainly have. Might be time to have a chat with that plumber. 😕

Yours, Larry

steven1971
    Participant

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I believe the right connection on top of the tank is the cold water line. I don’t think the installer changed that part. I think he only capped off the pipe near the drain valve. From what I recall, I think he capped it off because we were concerned about another leak. We did not think it was for anything. I think the installer didn’t know what the pipe is for either. I don’t think he intentionally abandoned the space heating part, I think no one knew. Thanks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page