Warm Water

The Tank Warm Water

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rhartman911
    Participant

I have an Electric- Reliance 501 52gal with daul 4500W elements not sure of age we have been in house for 6 yrs.

We have warm water seems like nothing is tripped a. I took top cover off and the insulation is wet I pushed the reset button and heard a sizzle probably due to being wet

Took botton cover off and insulation also wet. All I saw was a thermastate setting

So my question is should I just replace the water heater or try and find the elements which I dont know where they are located. The leak needs to be high up on the heater

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If you can’t find some obvious source of the water, which as the plumbing above it, then it’s probably time for replacement. Tank leaks can’t be fixed. Do read the appropriate sections on waterheaterrescue.com so you can make a wise choice for the replacement.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Agreed. I’d see if there is a leak at a fitting, but before all else, turn off power as 240 volts and water mixed together will certainly give you a nasty jolt! 😯

Yours, Larry

rhartman911
    Participant

Thank you I didn’t see any obvious leaks from a fitting has to be internal where I can not see it I will go to the web site and look at it,its not a big leak just enough to wet the insulation over time and small amout of water underneath. And all the rust is ontop of tank I would of thought it would be at the bottom of the tank

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Thing is, the inside of the tank is quite well protected from rusting, but the outside isn’t at all. If the outside stays wet for any length of time, it will rust. It can rust through in two to three months. So, have a close look at the fittings where they attach at the tank. If those aren’t leaking, it’s time for a new tank…. before the leak gets big 😯

Yours, Larry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page