Vibration

The Tank Vibration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    trumpeter27
    Participant

Recently, when I am using either shower/tub in our house and adjust the faucet to the desired temperature, the pipes start vibrating. The vibration will stop if I adjust the faucet slightly in one direction or the other. Unfortunately, the position that causes the vibration is right at my desired shower water temperature, so I’m forced to take a shower with water that’s either too hot or too cold. Our water heater is an 18 year old A.O. Smith, 40 gallon (natural gas).

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, The problem may be in the shower valve. Older valves have a flat rubber washer that presses up against a brass seat. Should the screw that holds the washer in place work loose, the washer can vibrate with water flow. If you have an older valve, remove each stem, and best replace the washers. When reinstalling the screw that holds the washer, wrap a little teflon tape around the screw. This will help keep it from working loose, or getting corroded in place. 😎

Yours, Larry

trumpeter27
    Participant

Hi Larry, thanks for the reply. I wasn’t sure that it was the shower valves causing the problem because it started happening with both at around the same time. They are both the same vintage so perhaps that isn’t so unusual. Gene

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page