Vacation Home – Increasingly strong odor in hot water

The Tank Vacation Home – Increasingly strong odor in hot water

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    srk
    Participant

We have a small cabin where we have been having increasing odor in hot water heater. We do have iron bacteria in well and installed pellet chlorinator and carbon filter on main water line (before water heater).

This weekend odor from hot water was horrible. I haven’t shocked the well and all house plumbing for over a year. I will do that this coming week. I have replaced the anode rod with aluminum. Water heater is Rheem Fury, short 50 gallon.

After reading about your suggestion for putting peroxide directly into water heater I’m considering having a plumber come and add the plumbing you recommend to our system…brings up a question…

Since this is a cabin that is used 5 to 10 times per year, would it be helpful to drain the water heater after each use? Generally there are long times between visits – often 4 to 5 weeks. Currently we drain in late noveber for winter – restart in April.

If draining it may be effective should I try that before I add plumbing?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I think it’s better to just put the plumbing in to permit you to add peroxide. If you drain it, the anode will no longer function (it has to be immersed in water to work) and the still-moist interior of the heater will rust.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page