Unable to post larger message to forum

The Tank Unable to post larger message to forum

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kenh
    Participant

Hi. I tried to post a larger message to this forum, around 9:30PM Eastern, and I’ve gotten a bunch of “Internal server error” messages. Could someone please look into this? It’s a long message, but I’ve seen others that are much larger.

I tried emailing webmaster, like the error message said to, but that email bounced.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Truth to tell, nothing like this has ever happened before. Were you writing it out or cutting and pasting or what? I’m the administrator. I’m sure there are features of this board software that I’ve never plumbed. The webmaster e-mail message is one. I expect I will have to configure it for it to function.

Of course, things DO malfunction occasionally. A few weeks ago, a hard disk on a server failed and the board went down for a day or so. And yesterday, I tried to use The Tank link and got a weird sql error, but later in the day it worked OK. So tell me more.

Randy Schuyler

kenh
    Participant

Well, last night I wrote up a long post … and when I hit “send”, it ate it.

So, I recreated it again today … and then I put it in another document to be safe, and I cut and pasted it in. Same error.

I tried some progressive cut & pasting, and there is clearly a critical size threshold; I didn’t find out exactly what it was, but it wasn’t too big.

Exactly what details do you want? I can get the exact error message if you are interested.

kenh
    Participant

To follow up to myself …

The limit seems to be 1916 characters … anything longer than that, “poof”. Rather odd number.

The exact error message is:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    [line] Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.6 Server at http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Port 80

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I logged in as administrator. I couldn’t find anything relating to post size. I can ask the people who built the board about it. Meantime, what is the nature of your original question? Could you post, say, a third, then reply to your own post and post the second part, then the third? I know that’s clunky, but it will probably be faster.

I built most of this site myself, but there are pieces that came from elsewhere, such as the shopping cart and bulletin board. When those malfunction, I’m somewhat at a loss.

Randy Schuyler

kenh
    Participant

elenano wrote:

I logged in as administrator. I couldn’t find anything relating to post size. I can ask the people who built the board about it. Meantime, what is the nature of your original question? Could you post, say, a third, then reply to your own post and post the second part, then the third? I know that’s clunky, but it will probably be faster.

I built most of this site myself, but there are pieces that came from elsewhere, such as the shopping cart and bulletin board. When those malfunction, I’m somewhat at a loss.

Weeeelll … it’s not really an original question, per se. It was a long post about my experience with tankless water heaters. I checked, and it clocked in at 14451 characters (give or take a few). At a 1916 character limit, that would take 8 pieces. It’s not exactly super-urgent.

(Did you check the web server log? Normally in my experience whenever you get an Internal Error with apache, you at least get some sort of explanation as to the problem in the logs, although sometimes it doesn’t always make sense).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page