Time to replace WH by inspecting Anode?

The Tank Time to replace WH by inspecting Anode?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nchancy
    Participant

I have attached a picture of my anode rod which is still the length of the tank but uniformly corroded as shown. It appears as if the sacrificial metal is long gone. Does this mean that my tank is past saving? The top of my tank is rusted a bit too. However the tank still works. We are on a private well with softened water.

Thanks!

Attached files

nchancy
    Participant

I might add that it is a whirlpool 6 year tank with a serial number of 0815T4######. I assume that means that it was made in 2008? Not very old at least.

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I don’t think the anode is long gone, but I would replace it with a magnesium rod. Evidence of water on top of the tank is not good. Can you find and fix the source of the water? From the photo, it looks like your tank lives outside. Does it? Perhaps it’s just taking a little trip to the great outdoors? 😎 I read that date code as tank being made in the fifteenth week of 2008.

Yours, Larry

nchancy
    Participant

It’s a basement WH, I just moved it outside to give it a good sediment flush and inspect it. It is possible that the rust on the top of the tank is due to water from outside the tank dripping on top of it. I’ll need to check into this.

I just ordered a .9 mag hex anode (part of the WH rescue kit) so I will go ahead and put that in and install the WH down the the basement. It sounds as if it was saved in time for a few more years of service.

Thank you very much!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page