Thermostat controller replacement

The Tank Thermostat controller replacement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tbailey4
    Participant

I suspect my thermostat is getting “lazy” on my 20 year old tank. I have to turn the temp up a little to get it to fire up. I have been doing this for years and I decided to try to replace the thermostat. I found one at Lowe’s for $30.00. It is a Whirlpool and it is the right size and has the same fittings etc. Only problem is, that it has two wires. I assume they go to a sensor of some type. Can I use this in place of a thermostat that has no wires? Thanks.

Ej
    Participant

Just tie those two wires together and you should be good. Those are for a external hi limit on a burner door assy.

tbailey4
    Participant

I suspected something like that, thanks for your direction. While I have the tank drained I planned to check the “dip tube”. I assume this is the tube that goes deep into the tank on the inlet side, is this correct? Are the tubes generally plastic or is there a chance for corrosion at this point?

undee70ss
    Participant

tbailey4 wrote:

I assume this is the tube that goes deep into the tank on the inlet side, is this correct? Are the tubes generally plastic

Correct and yes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page