The Rotten Egg smell

The Tank The Rotten Egg smell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    forgedin78
    Participant

First of all I have read a lot on your sight and have self diagnosed my problem as follows:

I have smelly hot water, very, very smelly, like rotten eggs. This is not at my house, but its for a friend of mine. They had the problem and had a plumber come fix it. She said he changed the anode rod, as the old one was nearly gone. (5 year old tank). She also said he bleached the system at that time and it fixed the problem.

That was over the summer, However the smell has come back, just as bad as before or worse. It will make the whole house almost unbearable to be in.

She does have a softener, and when I go back, im going to look at it to see if maybe its recharging to often. But im thinking that will only make the rod wear out faster, not make it stink, right?

Anyway, i need to fix the bacteria problem to get the smell away right? One thing I noticed is the water doesnt seem hot enough, i can hold my hand under the hot water for at least 30 seconds. If I get the water up to 140 will that make it unfriendly to bacteria?

The anode rod the plumber put in has a smooth hex top, Is there anyway to tell what material it is from just that much information? The top is just steel right? i cant id the rod from the top portion right?

I guess what Im asking is, If the temp is set too low (110-120) is that just making the situation that much worse since its a perfect temperature for the bacteria?

And will reasonable temperatures kill the bacteria? or would it have to be an extremely high temperature to kill the bacteria?

thanks in advance

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Temperature isn’t the solution. A powered anode is the solution. The current anode is aluminum. Or it might be aluminum/zinc, which is one of the typical solutions for odor, but one that doesn’t always work in softened water.

The bacteria are in the water supply, not just the heater, so they will come back, but they don’t seem to react with the powered anode, so it nearly always solves the problem.

Randy Schuyler

forgedin78
    Participant

i understand that the powered anode is probably best, but that might be a hard sell. Do you think an al/zn rod will work, but just not last very long?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

No, I think there is a real chance you’ll still have odor with aluminum/zinc. It strikes me as vaguely dishonest for me to get you to try that first, knowing there’s a good chance it won’t work, and then sell you the powered anode.

Better to cut to the chase and use the thing I know will work.

Anyway, if it really smells as bad as you say, it shouldn’t be a hard sell.;)

Randy Schuyler

judyhartzell
    Participant

I have a 55-60 gal hot water heater with bad egg smell I want to put in peroxide to take care of smell for now. How many pints should I put in

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Three pints of drugstore peroxide.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page