Tankless Water Heater

The Tank Tankless Water Heater

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alicia Korten
    Participant

I am in the market for a new water heater and read your review on the tankless. I just wanted to make sure your concerns were valid as of August 2016. Consumer Reports had negative reviews on them in 2008, but in 2015 said they were improved.

Do you still discourage people from ordering the tankless?

Installing a tankless water heater rather than a conventional model reduces the amount of energy you consume, decreasing your energy bill. These heaters also save space with a compact design, last longer and are better for the environment because a rusty tank doesn’t end up in the landfill. Some popular tankless water heaters are the Bosch Therm 520 HN, the Rheem RTE 13 and the Noritz NRC661-DV-NG.

Alicia Korten
    Participant

Thanks for your post William.

What I’m really wondering is the person who owns this blog wrote a scathing review about tankless water heaters a while ago. II know the technology is evolving quickly, and I’m wondering if he still holds the same belief today. As in: Don’t buy one as they are way too much trouble!

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I got the information from that page from two knowledgeable friends. I got an update from one of them yesterday. Things are much as they were, but are starting to change. There are still issues with needing a bigger gas or electric line, with getting quick hot water, and with constant maintenance, such as deliming the heat exchanger.

He praised a gas unit by HTP. I looked it up. It’s a condensing heater that’s 96 percent efficient and it has a 20-gallon tank. It’s output is 199,000 Btu. What it has going for it is endless hot water at high flow and high efficiency. So if you had a hot tub or a house full of teens, you’d never run out of hot water, or have to wait forever for the tub to fill.

On the flipside, it has had to become a tank heater to solve a bunch of the inherent problems that true tankless have, and I expect it’s going to be very expensive. There are people in the U.S. whose god is efficiency and they are ready to sacrifice everything else on its altar. Those things include affordability and ease of use. You can still get a tank heater that will do most of what you need, which requires little maintenance, and which can live with your current gas or electric line for about $600. Very many people in the U.S. can barely afford those, much less high-efficiency condensing heaters that cost $1,600 and up.

William didn’t answer your question and stuck a link in, which makes him, to me, a would-be advertiser. I’m leaving his post but deleting his link in a moment when I log in as admin.

Randy Schuyler
    Water Heater Rescue

Alicia Korten
    Participant

Randy,

You rock! Thanks for this thoughtful response.:D

KULTULZ
    Participant

I follow forums such as this one to learn. What I have read is that more are dis-satisfied than satisfied with the tank-less.

Had an HVAC man at my daughters house lately and began talking about water heaters. He said he put one in his home but because of the length of the house, the water was not hot when it reached the other end. Now it may be that the pipes were not insulated but this seems to be a common complaint. He had to install a small tank (POU) WH at that end to allow the tank-less to catch up.

It also seems the units are not specd or installed correctly as a salesman will usually sell the unit and has little knowledge of how and why. The plumber is then restricted to how the work order reads on the install.

And they do leak if not serviced properly depending on the makeup of your house water and if not serviced properly/timely they are out of warranty.

Alicia Korten
    Participant

Kultulz – that is really helpful. Thank you for this thoughtful reply! I think I’m not going with tankless, based on everyone’s recommendations.

Now I have to decide: Do I go with a standard or with a hybrid electric. Any thoughts on that?

KULTULZ
    Participant

Gas or electric, well or municipal?

I (IMO) think you will get better service out of and spend much less money with a standard WH.

Just make sure your pH is correct, use a sediment pre-filter, drain and flush on a regular schedule and check the anode rod periodically.

Alicia Korten
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page