Tankless – High Altitude

The Tank Tankless – High Altitude

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mdredmond
    Participant

Hi folks,

I need to put a water heater, preferably tankless (LP), in a cabin at about 10,800 feet. Paloma/Rheem has a chip I can install in the heater that supposedly makes it work up to 9,840 feet.

Is that extra thousand feet going to make the heater unusable – or just make it inefficient? I’m not terribly worried about carbon monoxide. It’s only going to be used for short showers and might be mounted in an adjacent generator/utility shed anyhow.

Thanks!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’d call Rheem tech support about the elevation issue. My concern is freezing. Tankless heaters have little mass and can freeze easily if not protected. If you forget to drain it once, it’s toast 😯

Yours, Larry

mdredmond
    Participant

Thanks for your reply!

I called Rheem and the lady I talked to said, “oh, no, that won’t work.” but I wasn’t able to ascertain why it supposedly won’t work. I’ve got a feeling that while Rheem may not approve of using it, that it will work at some diminished capacity perhaps with an excess of CO produced. But that’s just a guess and was hoping someone might have experience with this.

As for freezing, yeah, definitely something to plan for. This is a summer cabin used on and off through the summer. I assume a tankless heater has some way to drain or purge it? I figured we’d just drain the lines. Everything else up there needs to be drained/emptied for winter as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page