Tank Water Heater Damage Assessment

The Tank Tank Water Heater Damage Assessment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hamburgalley
    Participant

Moving a relatively new residential high efficiency condensing power vent tank water heater, LP gas, the burner was started without the tank being refilled, still empty. This caused the thermistor to fail (Energy Cutoff activated) which locks up the automated gas control. So the gas control is going to have to be replaced.

But the unknown is: what kind of damage could have resulted inside the tank itself, the combustion chamber, and whatever else is susceptible inside? And how do we tell?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’m going to defer to the manufacturer on this one. If the thermister worked in time, there should be little or no damage to the heater, but that depends on the design intent of that thermister. Suppose I’d start with putting it under water pressure to make sure it doesn’t leak.

Yours, Larry

Hamburgalley
    Participant

Thank you, Larry.
    Sadly, I forgot to say it’s a Richmond (Rheem) 6RHE40SP, if that helps to know the inside construct of it. We filled it with water and it held water, no leakage. I just didn’t know if the combustion chamber, or whatever they call it, is very susceptible to damaging in such a case.
    I understand the thermistor is located in the gas control probe in the water jacket. So, whether that’s replaceable separate from the gas control or not I can’t tell. I can’t seem to find any literature on how to remove the gas control and probe.
    Any further suggestions?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The gas control on that heater looks much like conventional gas controls. If it installs the same way, you just unscrew the pilot, thermocouple and main burner gas line from the control then unscrew the control from the tank. The gasket to the combustion chamber hatch may need to be replaced also. Does that help?

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page