Tank repair procedure

The Tank Tank repair procedure

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    fullapoo
    Participant

Since hubby had a stroke, I have to do the repair stuff. Before I do anything to the heater, do I have to shut it down?:? Tks

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what you’re planning on doing, but if you’re going to be taking apart plumbing, you’ll want to shut off water pressure and turn the control to pilot if gas, or shut off electricity at the breaker if electric. Gas, so it doesn’t fire up while you’re working on it; electric, so you don’t kill yourself.

But if you really don’t know what you’re doing, you might do better to call a pro.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: What sort of stuff do you have in mind? Perhaps we could help walk you through it 😉

Yours, Larry

fullapoo
    Participant

The tank was put in in 1997. I run out of hot water getting a bath. There’s just the 2 of us. I was thinking the dip tube might need replaced. Or maybe the whole thing? Thankx. 😀

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The trick is to measure the actual output. You should get about 70 to 75% of the volume of the tank as undiluted hot water. That would be about 30 gallons from a 40 gallon tank. Measure with a calibrated bucket from the tub spout. If you get about that much, the dip tube is good. If not, it could be dip tube, or some other plumbing mixing cold water in with the hot.

When a heater leaks, it needs to be replaced. Otherwise there is hope 😉 A ten year old heater is not necessarily old.

Yours, Larry

fullapoo
    Participant

Ok, tkanks, Larry.:D

Sandy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page