sulfur smell in cold and hot water

The Tank sulfur smell in cold and hot water

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dw1973
    Participant

I have a 50 gallon smart tank made by Whirlpool that I bought from Lowe’s 1yr ago. I have a water softener and well water. My water did not have a sulfur smell and tasted good before with the old hot water tank. I installed the new tank and almost right away we noticed a sulfur smell when using the hot water. Withing the last few months I noticed my cold water and ice from the fridge ice maker has a sulfur smell but still tastes fine. I checked the cold water supply line to the hot water tank and noticed it is warm a few feet back from the tank. A one way valve that came with the new hot water tank was installed but it appears it has now failed? Another interesting thing to note is that the cold water upstairs in the bathrooms does not have the sulfur smell. Should I purchase an electric anode rod to end the smells in both the hot and cold water? How long do the electric anode rods last? Thanks in advance to all who help me out.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Generally, if the cold water has a sulfur smell, that has nothing to do with the water heater. It just means there is sulfur present in the water. Regarding the water heater, if it just smells like sulfur, an electric anode may not fix that. If it smells like rotten eggs, it will. Hope that helps.

Randy Schuyler

dw1973
    Participant

How come my cold water upstairs in my home does not smell? Not sure you read my problem all the way.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I did see that and frankly, don’t know what to make of it, but it is unlikely that the water heater is putting sulfur odor into cold water.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: As a test, try bypassing the softener for a week. What changes happen? If things get better, try turning the softener down little by little until you know you’ve gone too far. Then bump it up a bit…. Too much softening will speed up anode consumption, which can help make odor.

Odor is tricky. It may seem to come from cold water but come from a partly clogged drain in the fridge or a cracked drain/vent line. Do you use enough hot water to turn over the volume in the tank daily? If your usage is low, it will promote odor.

If there has been a water quality test, info from that report would point to possible problems.

No point in getting a powered rod until the problem is better surrounded. Powered anodes should last decades. Like any electronics, they prolly don’t like power surges 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page