Stumped

The Tank Stumped

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MVP
    Participant

Richmond 6G40-36F1. I replaced the thermocouple and it worked fine for a day. Now, when the water is cooled, I can light the pilot and the burner starts just fine. Once it is done heating and the burner shuts off the pilot goes out also. Then I can’t relight the pilot until it has cooled again. Any ideas. I can’t seem to find this question or an answer anywhere. BTW water heater was installed in 2015.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I’d look in two directions. First, I’d have a look at the pilot flame and be sure it is actually heating, not just touching the thermocouple. I’d also make sure the heater has good draft. The other direction to take is to call Rheem and explain the problem. There have been problems with this heater and it’s internal safety device. :?Yours, Larry

MVP
    Participant

Thanks Larry :),
    I just put in another new thermocouple on the off chance the other new one was bad. Pilot lit and it is now heating the water. I will see if it stays on after the burner goes out but I really don’t have a lot of hope. It does look like the thermocouple could be more in the flame. I’ll try moving it closer if this fails. Otherwise I will call Rheem tomarrow. Thanks again this is driving me nuts!

MVP
    Participant

Well, water done heating burner and pilot both out, again can’t keep pilot lit. I’m sure it will work again once everything has cooled. 🙁

LisaMiddleton
    Participant

Then what happened? Did it work?

MVP
    Participant

I ended up calling Richmond/Rheem and they said it was the gas control valve and sent me one. (no charge, it sounded like I wasn’t the first one to call with this problem) I had a local plumber install it and it has been working ever since. (Sorry, I should have posted my solution earlier)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page