Strange heater

The Tank Strange heater

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    attic
    Participant

I have a 1911 home with a strange looking device in the attic. It is about 4 feet tall, and cylinderical, with a diamater of about 1 foot. It is white. It has two pipes entering the on the bottom that are black and look to me like gas lines, but I guess they could be older water lines. I don’t see any burner in the bottom, and the pipes cleanly enter the bottom of the cylinder. On the side, about half way up, anohter gas looking pipe exits and appears to vent out of the roof. It does not have any type of venting trap on top. If I tap on the cylinder it seems empty. I would like to remove this from the attic. I don’t think it is original, b/c there was a Rudd 1908 model hot water heater in the basement, and there is a new hot water heater currently in the basement. Can anyone tell me what it is and how I can determine if it is still functioning or if there may be gas still flowing to it? Thanks.

attic
    Participant

I’ve just been told by my plumber that this tank may have been some type of overflow for the radiators the house use to have. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: What you describe sounds like an older style expansion tank. And, yes, it would have been used with hot water radiators. If the radiators and boiler are gone, there is no need to keep the expansion tank.

The folks on “The Wall” at http://www.heatinghelp.com could give you more info 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page