State Select GS650YBRT – Pilot light keeps going out rusty water

The Tank State Select GS650YBRT – Pilot light keeps going out rusty water

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    FengShuiStein
    Participant

We have a two-year old State Select water heater (model# GS650YBRT), and for the past few months the pilot light goes out randomly. I can relight it, and it stays lit, but it eventually goes back out (could be after a few days, could be after a few hours – it’s totally random). I keep the black plastic screen on the bottom clear of dust (I clean it every three months, as suggested), so I don’t think it’s that.

We had the plumbing company who installed it come to take a look, and he couldn’t really find anything wrong. His best guess was that the “limit switch”(?) inside the thermostat control housing was not working properly, possibly due to dust (ha), and wanted $440 to replace it. I refused. It worked fine for two weeks, until this past weekend, when it went out 4 or 5 times.

Last night it was out again, and I happened to remove the black plastic screen to take a peek, and noticed that now there is rusty water inside that bottom pan – not the drain pan (our water heater did not have one installed) – but inside the tank’s base, behind that black plastic screen. There are also some rusty streaks coming down from the tank itself, on the inside of the base pan. This water was not there two weeks ago when the plumber was there.

Any ideas, anyone? Is this a warranty issue? Also, in all honesty, I’d rather not have to do any more business with the company that installed the water heater.

Thanks!!

-Phil

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If it’s not dust, the only other thing I can think of regarding the pilot are wind somehow blowing it out from the roof. But rusty water anywhere on a 2-year-old heater is ominous. Is there any sign of water leaking onto it from above, say, from a loose plumbing connection?

Randy Schuyler

FengShuiStein
    Participant

Nope – nothing dripping or leaking from above, unless it’s somehow coming through the ventpipe / drafthood (which I plan to check when I get home, LOL)

-Phil

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Might it be a warranty issue? Check your warranty for parts and leakage timelines 😉

Yours, Larry

FengShuiStein
    Participant

Thanks, Larry – I’m certainly hoping that it is a warranty-covered issue…. 😯

As of last night, it still goes out, there’s still water in the base, and now a small leak has developed outside the tank. I turned it off and am awaiting a call-back from the plumbing company. I just want to take a hot shower, LOL!!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

-Phil

FengShuiStein
    Participant

….and they lived happily ever after…..

Well, it was a bad tank, and was replaced under warranty this morning (huzzah!)

Thanks again, everyone!!

-Phil

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page