state censible 510e

The Tank state censible 510e

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    reubenburwell
    Participant

I can’t get the pilot light to stay lit on our old(1991) state censible gas water heater. It’s also got quite a bit of rust on the bottom of the tank. Is it worth trying to fix? What do you think the problem is?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

On older heaters, it’s likely to be a bad thermocouple. As to the longevity issue, photograph the combustion chamber and post it here and I’ll tell you what I think.

Randy Schuyler

reubenburwell
    Participant

Okay, here it it. Thanks for your help!

C:UsersReubenandKristenDesktopNew Folderwater heater2011-06-28DSC_0239.JPG

reubenburwell
    Participant

Oops…how do I post a picture?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Use the Browse button at the bottom of the Reply screen, but make sure it doesn’t exceed about 100K. If it worked, you should just see the jpeg and not the whole path in your computer.

Randy Schuyler

leilei3349
    Participant

our censible 510e is ready to go and starting to leak. problem is we live in Hawaii and association we live in says our house can only have a Censible 510e. If we try another water heater we run the risk of having to install new pipes. Any suggestions about we can do? Is there anyway we can find another water heater from Sears or somewhere else? Desperate!!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The hot and cold lines and gas line should be hooked up with flexible connectors in earthquake country. Fitting a different model/brand of heater should be no problem at all. Just make sure the heater itself fits in the space (diameter and height) and has a path to get there 😉

Yours, Larry

RyansGoGo
    Participant

I have a state censible 510E and the pilot will not stay lit. I tried to have the thermacouple changed, but the universal one you purchase at Home Depot would not light at all. After putting on 3 brand new couples and neither would light, I had the old one put back on and it lit immediately. It is still on, but no doubt it will go out in a week or maybe less.

Where can I purchase a thermacouple directly from the manufactory. I tried looking on the internet for numbers and the website I found gave a 800 number that is no longer working. Please help. I know that it is about time to start thinking about replacing the old girl, but it is not in my budget right now.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

How old is this heater? If it was made since 2004, think about using a feather duster on the air filters. For more on this, go to Tanklets using the link on the left side of the Tank index and read FVIR Issues.

Randy Schuyler

RyansGoGo
    Participant

I’ve been in the house around 15 years and it was here when I got here. Its not a tankless heater and it is short as compared to others, I guess because it is housed under the house.

Do you have any suggestions for this unit, or do you suggest I still try your suggestion.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: At that age, it’s not a FVIR (Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant) heater. That means it either the thermocouple or control (or how things are put together). I’d make sure the pilot flame is properly hitting the thermocouple and making the tip of it glow dark red. If that doesn’t work, I’d go shopping at a plumbing supply house for the right thermocouple. If the right thermocouple doesn’t fix it, you need a new control, (or maybe a new heater). 😕

Yours, Larry

RyansGoGo
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. We could see that the thermacouple on it had to have a lot of heat to the tip because the copper was worn away. It’s working fine for now (5 days strong). I just dont have any idea where to find the company that makes these parts. You suggested a plummber warehouse sort of place, so I will begin checking around for it. There are no leaks and it looks good, so I think if I can find the parts (both you mentioned), I will probably by both and keep my fingers crossed that I can get a couple more years:D

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Censibles are made by State Industries, a subsidiary of A.O. Smith.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page