Soft water system. Smelly water

The Tank Soft water system. Smelly water

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ira Rutan
    Participant

Several months ago I purchased a soft water system and ever since then I have noticed that the hot water smells like rotten eggs in all the faucets. I want to get a powered anode rod, but can’t find any hex nuts on the top of my water heater. There is what looks like a large blower on top of the water heater. My water heater is a Bradford White 50 gallon. The model number is M1TW50S6FBN. It’s about 4 years old. Any suggestions?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The anode is a combo type in the hot port. Get SKU25 but be aware that you’ll have to replumb a bit to use it. Go here to get some idea: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Power-Anode-For-Combos.html .

Randy Schuyler

drbrian
    Participant

I have an Aquasana water filtration and conditioning system, where the treated water is fed into my hot water tank. I got the system because I live in south Florida and notices the water was green when you filled a bath tub, which I didn’t like. I also selected Aquasana because it does NOT soften water, but it does “knock the arm and legs of minerals off the water molecules” in its conditioning tank. They told me that this keeps the hard minerals in the water (so no “soft water” feeling when you shower, which I don’t like), but they said it would keep the minerals from messing up pipes and plumbing the way unconditioned hard water does. I know you have noted that “soft water” makes the “rotten egg smell” more likely and I’m wondering if this different method of dealing with the hard minerals also makes the “rotten egg smell” more likely. Also, you have a kit you sell for easily killing the anaerobic bacteria inside the hot water tank water with peroxide, which I am thinking about purchasing (because we do go away for weeks or months at a time and we have noticed the “rotten egg smell” upon our return and it can’t just be flushed out by running the hot water tank empty. Do I need to replace the anode rod (even if recently replaced already) any time I come back and introduce the peroxide to clean the tank water?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

No. If you install the Peroxide Fix hardware, you leave the anode be, although I advise checking it once every year or two and replacing when you can see six inches of core wire. If there is no salt in the water, the anode should corrode normally. I looked up Aquasana, and it’s not clear how it works.

You might also consider switching to an aluminum/zinc anode. Again, if there is no salt added, that usually solves odor problems. You can find both things on my product page at waterheaterrescue.com

Randy Schuyler

KULTULZ
    Participant

drbrian wrote”

I have an Aquasana water filtration and conditioning system, where the treated water is fed into my hot water tank. I got the system because I live in south Florida and notices the water was green when you filled a bath tub, which I didn’t like.

I also selected Aquasana because it does NOT soften water, but it does “knock the arm and legs of minerals off the water molecules” in its conditioning tank. They told me that this keeps the hard minerals in the water (so no “soft water” feeling when you shower, which I don’t like), but they said it would keep the minerals from messing up pipes and plumbing the way unconditioned hard water does. I know you have noted that “soft water” makes the “rotten egg smell” more likely and I’m wondering if this different method of dealing with the hard minerals also makes the “rotten egg smell” more likely.

Also, you have a kit you sell for easily killing the anaerobic bacteria inside the hot water tank water with peroxide, which I am thinking about purchasing (because we do go away for weeks or months at a time and we have noticed the “rotten egg smell” upon our return and it can’t just be flushed out by running the hot water tank empty. Do I need to replace the anode rod (even if recently replaced already) any time I come back and introduce the peroxide to clean the tank water?

The H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) (naturally occurring) in the water is the cause of the odor. The WH temperature enhances the smell. The use of a salt-based softener changes the pH of the water making it more acidic and aggressive on the WH tank, hence the quicker breakdown of the sacrificial anode rod (better than the tank liner itself).

There are specialty treatment systems available ($$$) but in your situation (long absences) will not help the situation. All you need is the kit offered here and use the peroxide once a month (while there) and when you are going to leave for awhile and upon return.

Make sure you flush the WH on a regular basis as sediment(s) are a food source for bacteria.

BTW– The hydrogen peroxide you buy in the drug store is not food grade.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page