Smelly water nothing working

The Tank Smelly water nothing working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ctk9000
    Participant

Hi there,
    I moved into a new mobile home in a park a year and a half ago, it took a month or so to start noticing a bad smell, rotten egg smell, it’s the water stained our clothes and bathtub and toilets badly, I lived with it for a year. I did a couple proxide treatments in the tank but the smell would only go away for about 1 week at the max. The water went from smelling like eggs to smell like sewer a awful smell! The water also came out black a couple times..

I finally gave in and called a plumber/water guy, they did a test of the water which I will post the stats of on the bottom of this message. They told me to do the proxide treatment and they switched my anode to the one that wouldn’t react in the tank!

That did not solve the problem, so they recommend a special water softener ” NVO458SIM-100 ” and a whole house filter so I did, and the smell got better very minorly. I tried chlorinating the tank as well with bleach, that only last about 3 days before the smell came back. I am at my wits end with what to do for a permanent fix.

Only solution I can come up with would to be to remove the anode from the tank and see if the rotten smell would go away and if it did I could order the power anode? I live in Canada also so not sure if you shop here. Anyways id love some suggestions, I have a family member moving in shortly and I don’t want them to have to deal with the smell. Thank you.

This water test was before they water softener and filter

Hardness gpg .14
    Ph 6.9
    Iron ppm .73
    tds ppm 370
    Magnesium .2

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Removing the anode, in fact, is the ultimate test, and you can do it, if you want, but you’ve already told me enough. The anode is the culprit or the peroxide wouldn’t help. Somehow I have a feeling that the person who sold you the softener to fix this problem isn’t going to give you your money back, but all my experience has been that softeners, in fact, make odor problems worse, not better. Since you’ve already seen the anode changed, you should know what type it is. Is it a hex anode in its own port? Or a combo anode/pipe nipple in the hot port? I do sell to Canada and ship by Priority Mail.

Randy Schuyler

ctk9000
    Participant

Hi thank you for the fast response, it is a hex anode and it goes in from the top of the tank.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Get powered anode SKU27, available here: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Power-Anode-Coupling.html , and let me know whether the heater is gas or electric, what brand, and if it was made after April 2015. Some require a longer pipe nipple than average.

Randy Schuyler

ctk9000
    Participant

It is electric, the brand is Giant, and it was made before 2015.

ctk9000
    Participant

Also do you think I should take mine out and test to see if the smell goes away? Do they sell plugs to plug the hole? It would cost me about 306 Canadian dollars before shipping so I want to be really sure that’s pricey :p thank you

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: You should be able to use a standard 3/4″ pipe plug to temporarily seal the port, as a test. Try it for a week and see what happens. 😎

Yours, Larry

ctk9000
    Participant

okay and if it does indeed fix the smell, will that anode randy recommended work?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Yes, it will work, but not the way most people think. They think it’s an odor eater. All it does is protect a water heater from rusting, as a sacrificial anode does, but without causing any odor. The truth is that anybody who softens should have one because softeners can chew through sacrificial anodes very rapidly and then the heater rusts out. I’ve heard from people who have replaced them every two years.

Randy Schuyler

ctk9000
    Participant

Hey guys ! Huge frustration here, local shops only have pipe plugs in pex and brass. The brass one doesn’t have a head and it won’t seal. The pex one won’t thread on straight, yes I used tape around the threads, anyways that was an ordeal. I can’t find a proper pipe plug to test it. I was surprised to see the anode the plumber put on only about 6 months ago has already started looking quite ugly. I took a picture of it if anyone would like to be emailed it. It won’t let me upload it here. To high of a resolution, I am just a bit concerned about ordering the one from you guys and have the smell still stay around ! Wish I could plug the damn whole and test it. Think I should just go ahead and order the power anode? And also you said that people with softened water replace anodes every 2 years. With the powers anode would that still be the case? Or does it not corrod like the rest? Thank you all very much. My family memeber moves in. In 3 days and he’s going to hate my water!!

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

First, anodes that are working are SUPPOSED to look ugly. You want to fret when you can see steel core wire. Next, powered anodes are not used up in their function, which is why they are good in softened water. Sacrificial anodes are consumed through use and their consumption speeds up in softened water. I kind of do think you should go ahead and order the powered anode, and not just I’m selling them. I never push people to buy anything. But you’re having trouble making this test, and I know from what you’ve said that it will solve the problem.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, An alternate to using a plug is to use a nipple and a cap. This might be easier to deal with. If nothing will thread into the port, then the threads are messed up and a 3/4″ pipe tap is called for to clean up the threads. 😉

Yours, Larry

ctk9000
    Participant

Thank you for the quick replies, I know the anodes should look ugly I’m just surprised how much its deteriorated in a short amount of time, but it makes sense with the softened water. What is a Nipple and a cap?
    The pex plug was the only one not threading right I was able to thread the brass plug in it just wasn’t the right type. And it would leak. And I was able to thread the old anode back in.
    I look forward to hearing what a Nipple and cap are, if that doesn’t then out successful I’ll have to just trust you on this and order the powered anode.
    Thanks all

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

He means a pipe nipple. The cap would screw onto the end of it. If you don’t know what a pipe nipple is, go to Lingo in the Troubleshooting section of Water Heater Rescue. Also, use six wraps of Teflon tape or everything will leak.

Randy Schuyler

ctk9000
    Participant

thanks for the info, i just want to go over this one more time before ordering.

My doesn’t really smell like rotten eggs in general it smells really bad hard to explain, kind a like garbage/sewage . i do have a high iron content as you can see in the water test i posted above, the cold water does not smell. only the hot water smells at all my taps. i have done a test where i take cold water and boil it on my stove to see if it creates a smell and it does NOT. so i am pretty much certain its the anode causing the smell.. and you both seem to agree with that. I am just curious, can iron make other smells other then rotten eggs?

thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page