SKU 10 Flexible Hex-Head Magnesium Anode Rod with GE Water Heater

The Tank SKU 10 Flexible Hex-Head Magnesium Anode Rod with GE Water Heater

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ptalar
    Participant

I have a GE/Home Depot 50 gal gas Water Heater, Model No: SG50T12AVG00/ S/N: GELN 0204V16502 built in 2004. I called GE and they said anodes are not covered under warranty and are considered a maintenance part. They said to use a magnesium anode rod. The water heater is installed outside in a sheet metal water heater closet. I have about 14 inches clearance. Will the Water Heater Rescue SKU 10 Flexible Hex-Head Magnesium Anode Rod work with this water heater? It has a hex-head anode rod.

Please advise.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Yes.

Randy Schuyler

ptalar
    Participant

I purchased one of your SKU 10 Flexible Hex-head Magnesium Anode Rods for a GE water heater (order number 1411). However, I could not get the old anode rod out of the water heater. The hex head on the anode bolt rounded out. The bolt head thickness was not very thick and the socket would not grip very well. I am considering returning the SKU 10 Hex-Head Magnesium Anode Rod (which is new and unused) and replacing with a SKU 9 combo flex magnesium anode rod. Will the SKU 9 combo flex magnesium anode rod work with a GE/Home Depot 50 gal gas Water Heater, Model No: SG50T12AVG00/ S/N: GELN 0204V16502 built in 2004?

Can I return the SKU 10 and replace with a SKU 9. I would like to order the SKU 9 first then return the SKU 10. So I can reuse the shipping box.

Please advise.

Admin
    Participant

You can always return an anode if it’s unused, so that’s not a problem. If I were you, before I ordered the combo, I’d unscrew the hot-side nipple and run my finger into the port.

That will tell you two things. First, whether you can unscrew the nipple because sometimes they are in as tight as anodes. The other is whether SKU9 is OK here.

To the best of my knowledge, Rheem/GE didn’t change its design until 2005. So as you feel below the end of the threads, there should be open space. If you feel a smooth steel wall, then SKU9 won’t work and you’d have to get SKU30, the specialty Rheem anode.

Send the other anode to either 432 Andrew Circle, Marina, CA 93933 by UPS; or PO Box 761, Marina, CA 93933 by Postal Service. Don’t mix and match. Items mailed to Andrew get lost.

Randy Schuyler

ptalar
    Participant

Do I need a return authorization number?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

No. I’m a one-man business, which is really good for you sometimes, and not so good other times. It cuts both ways. But I know who you are and will remember.

Randy Schuyler

ptalar
    Participant

Randy,

I mailed the anode back to you for a refund via priority mail to your PO Box address per your direction. Please let me know when you receive it.

I have not checked my water heater yet to find out how the hot water outlet is to decide on combo anode to buy SKU 9 or SKU 30.

I will probably check it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Phil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page