Sediment Clogged Drain

The Tank Sediment Clogged Drain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    asasser
    Participant

We have a lake cottage which we winterize every winter by draining all the water lines as well as the water heater to prevent freezing and the water heater currently can’t be drained because the drain is clogged with sediment. It is an electric model that was purchased last year with the factory installed plastic drain. I know the best way to fix this is to run a screwdriver or coat hanger up the drain to try to break the sediment loose but, not being a plumber, I don’t want to break anything while doing so making the problem worse. I think I made a mistake in that I shut off and drained the rest of the water at the cottage before beginning to drain the heater – I’ve heard the pressure of the cold water coming into the tank could cause the sediment to be pushed out and allow it to drain. Are there any other methods of cleaning this out – I left the heat on low at the cottage to prevent freezing until it’s fixed but the gas bills are killing me more than it would cost to just chuck the thing and buy a new one.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The simplest way out of this is to just replace the plastic valve with a ball valve. You can find instructions under Preventive maintenance and then Know-how for how to do that. Then you won’t have this problem again and future draining will go much more quickly.

Randy Schuyler

asasser
    Participant

Is this doable when the tank is full of water? I’m just picturing a jet of water shooting across the floor as soon as I remove the plastic valve from the base.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

As long as you have the pressure off and nothing else is open, it’s quite doable. Again, read up on it under Know-how.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page