Ruud Monel

The Tank Ruud Monel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    joemerritt
    Participant

Anyone have any idea where to get parts for this Ruud Monel gas fired 40 gallon water heater ?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Some parts, like a thermocouple can be made to work with this old heater, but otherwise you may need to get inventive. What’s wrong?

Yours, Larry

joemerritt
    Participant

I would like to get a new original gas valve for this tank, but parts will work also. When turning the valve to pilot from off the valve automatically releases gas thru the pilot and the burner, which isnt good if a high wind blows the pilot out. I was amazed from the age of the tank so instead of getting rid of it i decided to take it home and investigate. I started taking it apart and noticed that the monel tank had absolutely not one speck of rust on it inside or out, it actually looked like it just came from the manufacturers warehouse. So I decided to restore it as best I can and use it to replace my worthless 6 yr tank when it goes, which will be in 3 yrs, so I have plenty of time to find original parts “IF I CAN”. You can get original parts for model T fords why not something half its age ?

Thanks for your response

Joe

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Normal advice for this would go along the lines of , “Never modify a heater, just move on and get a new one.” or something similar. As long as you’re technically qualified and willing to be responsible for it, why not look at updating rather than recreating? An older gas control will be next to impossible to find new and it is not as safe as a modern control. So, I’d find a way to put a modern control and matching burner in place in your old Monel (copper nickle mix) heater. Make the BTU rating no more than the original.

Other thoughts: Check the anode in your current tank. It will buy you time. I’ve helped tanks to last for over fifty years. The Ruud heater will have higher standby loss as it has an external flue and much less insulation. If you used the the Ruud as a tempering tank to preheat your conventional heater, you could wind up with a pretty efficient and simple system 😎

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page