Running water sound inside tank.

The Tank Running water sound inside tank.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scott080379
    Participant

Okay I have went through the forum and haven’t found a thread that matches everything I am going through. My water heater has a running water sound on the inside of the tank. Also I have NO HOT WATER. I haven’t seen these two issues together on here or any other place on the web. I now know the cold water shut off valve needs to be replace above the heater as it doesn’t completely shut the water off. I have turned the water off at the meter and the sound has stopped. The pressure valve seems to still be working as when I open it you can hear the water rushing through the pipe.

Any thoughts? I honestly think I would rather replace the entire thing but if this is an easy fix then I will replace what parts are needed.

Thank you in advance.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Go to Tanklets using the link at the side of the topics index. Read High Water Bills, Heat Trap Issues and Backflushing Clogged Piping. Those will cover all these issues and tell you what to do about them.

Randy Schuyler

scott080379
    Participant

I have read all of those. Pipes above the heater are all cold, of course the cold water in line is way colder but no heat on the hot water output or relief lines.

No leaks to be seen anywhere on any fitting in or around the house. Hose bibs are dry and just crawled under the house to find Nothing to help me further.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

So, did you disconnect the plumbing and replace the heat-trap nipples with regular nipples? That would be a really likely reason for no hot water.

Make sure nobody is using water and then go to the meter and see if the dials are turning. If they are, there is either a leak you can’t find, or a valve open that is running water into some drain.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: It really sounds like a leak in the hot side plumbing. The water meter is turning and the heater is probably firing too, yes? Are there any buried lines?

Yours, Larry

scott080379
    Participant

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The leak was internal to the tank, great find as well since the floor right under the tank was so rotten the water just drained under the house. Wasn’t a huge leak but enough, not sure why no hot water all of the sudden but got the new tank installed last night. IT was due anyways, The tank was only 30 years old so I think it was time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page