Rotten egg smell from new GE GeoSpring water heater

The Tank Rotten egg smell from new GE GeoSpring water heater

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Slova68
    Participant

I’m a first time user to this site, so any help would be much appreciated. I installed a new GE GeoSpring water heater, with the heat pump on top, about 5-6 weeks ago. A couple days ago the hot water turned rotten egg smelling in what seemed like overnight. I read the article about the solutions to this problem and it seems like I need to change to a powered anode, since I have a water softener. My questions are, what specific powered anode do I need for this tank, and secondly, are there any special installation instructions/concerns because of the heat pump on top of this unit?

Thank You, Scott

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Get SKU27 from my product page at the main site. Obviously, you have to remove the compressor to get to the anode. Beyond that, there are instructions, of course.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I believe you can get to the anode to replace it, but it’s tricky. You’ll need to find a long extension for your breaker bar(or add extensions) to get the length you need to be able to turn the bar. Even if you use an impact wrench, you will want extension to bring the tool up and away from the compressor and other stuff. 😎

Yours, Larry

Slova68
    Participant

Do instructions for this specific style water heater come with that anode, or will I have to look them up online?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page