Richmond power vent won't lite

The Tank Richmond power vent won't lite

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    pkzochow
    Participant

I have a water heater issue. The pilot lite will start without an issue, however, the burner will not lite. If I leave the heater unplugged for about 10 minutes the burner will like for about 10 seconds and then shut back off. What could be going on here, don’t really want to call for service if I should just purchase a new one. This is a 40 gallon which is about 12 years old.

Thanks for the help.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Power vent heaters have been built with many different details. There is a contributor, Ej who’s particularly good with these, but he’ll certainly need model and serial numbers to be able to help 😉

Yours, Larry

pkzochow
    Participant

Thanks for the info, here are the details.

RCLP 0597128846 (serial)

5VP40E-LP A (model)

Richmond powervent.

pkzochow
    Participant

So I replaced the thermostat last night hoping that was it and it actually heated two times, then same thing. The pilot lite starts and that’s it. Once the heater is off for about 10 minutes and I turn it on the pilot lite starts, burner starts for about 3 seconds, then pilot and burner go out. Pilot light restarts, burner doesn’t unless it is left off for 10 minutes, process keeps repeating itself.

undee70ss
    Participant

Could be a bad or leaking vacuum switch. The burner won’t light if it “thinks” the power vent isn’t working.

Ej
    Participant

If there is and air leak then the burner fan will continue to run.  Make sure your power cord is wired correctly at the wall.  Black wire should have 120 ACV.  Reverse polarity can cause this problem.  Also make sure there is a good ground.

shoornstra57
    Participant

I have a richmond water heater Serial number RMLP 1003107995 Model number 5VP40E-1P A. It is a continuous retry it will click and start to light then it goes out after about 5 seconds then clicks again

Ej
    Participant

Since you are getting to the point of ignition then most likely it is failing to approve the ignition. If your pilot is of adequate size then take some sandpaper and clean off the flame rod that is next to the pilot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page