Rheem Power Vent 2 Blower Problems

The Tank Rheem Power Vent 2 Blower Problems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dagint
    Participant

Hello,

I have a Rheem Power Vent 2 40 gallon water heater. It was new with the home and is now about 11 or 12 years old now. Friday the blower motor stopped working and would only buzz and would do the 4 flash error code.

For a while I was about to get it work for about 5 minutes. burner would fire and blower would work and then very suddenly, after about 5 minutes of working, the motor would sound like it was whining, where it was still running but something was stopping it. When this occurs the vent stops pushing air out of course and gets hot and the motor seems to over heat.

Because the temp, pressure/vacuum switch, and blower are in the same device I replaced the unit, part #sp12562. While installing the new unit we ran a snake through the vent from both directions and there was nothing clogging the vent.

Installed the new unit let it run and checked it an hour or 2 later and the same issue. Blower motor buzzing when attempting to start and is very hot when issue occurs. 4 Flash error code.

Waited for blower to cool and kicked off the process again, runs for 5 minutes then blower motors starts whining and gets hot and eventually shuts down sometime buzzing like it’s trying to start the motor but can’t.

Checked the element, removed the plate element fires correctly flame is blue the entire time including when the blower starts whining/getting hot.

We removed the temp sensor (putting tape over the whole during test) same symptoms.

Checked outlet is 120v and the blue wire #8 gets 120v the entire time.

Removed power vent and pulled up metal deflector in the center of unit as far as I could everything looks normal. There was a little corrosion near the top, but nothing excessive.

Checked the vacuum tube, it’s clean no clogs.

Again this water heater has been in my house for 11 or 12 years and there have been no major changes to my home.

I’m wondering if there might be anything else to look for to help resolve.

dagint
    Participant

Did some additional testing this morning but got a little different result. Recycled power to the blower and the process kicked off, blower started, element lit and it ran for about 15 to 20 minutes this time. This was much longer than previous tests, but all my previous tests happen when the unit/water heater was hot. Leads me to believe it could be related to something either expanding due to the heat or could be heat related (although temp sensor was removed from the equation).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page