Rheem FV sensor

The Tank Rheem FV sensor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    geno03245
    Participant

How do you reset Rheem FVIR?
    I heard the part has to be ordered and installed.
    I can find the part, but before ordering, how exactly is it installed?
    Rheem FV sensor
    And why does Rheem say this has to be done by service technician?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’m sure the reason they want a tech to do it is for liability reasons. And those same reasons will make any of us here reluctant to tell you exactly how it is installed.

Randy Schuyler

geno03245
    Participant

The whole world is filled with risk.
    The entire gas water heater manual is filled with risk, with picture of man consumed by flame and warning of CO poisoning and dire consequence from relighting the pilot.

So why is this certain narrow topic off-limits, especially when other brands have re-settable FVIR?
    It sounds like trade protectionism rather than risk-avoidance. (although I support the unions)

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Wow! I’ve enjoyed what you’ve posted in the past, Geno, but I’m not enjoying this.

The reason is pretty simple. Do YOU want to get sued because of something you said here? I sure don’t. I want to help, but I don’t want to get sued.

How many times have we had people with electric water heaters come and say, “Show me what to do (although I don’t know anything about ohm meters or electricity)”? If we did, odds are they’d electrocute themselves. And afterward, what then, in suit-happy America?

So if you know the answer, tell it and beware. Or wait and see if Larry or Ej or David tell it.

None of us can know how carefully our instructions will be followed, or what the outcome will be if they are not. But if it’s a bad outcome, who will get blamed? The person who followed the instructions? Or the person who gave them?

Generally, when a question like this is asked, it’s to save money. I’m probably the only person in this forum who gets “paid” — in the form of parts sales if anyone posting here decides to buy parts. Nobody else gets a nickel. You are asking an awful lot of them in the name of ….. of just what?

That’s all I have to say!

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: If the Rheem part is selling on line it must not be overly difficult to deal with. There has been talk of needing to be Rheem certified to work on their FVIR…

I haven’t had my hands on this part so can’t answer the question directly. I do think getting in touch with Rheem or their rep would let you know if they think it’s OK for you to have a go at fixing their heater or what hurdles they want you to jump. You clearly have lots of water heater experience, so this is probably a simple thing.

Yours, Larry

geno03245
    Participant

Well you know, I like to keep the conversation lively.
    I’ve read other forums saying similar to yours, concerning liability.
    And I’m sure there are energetic lawyers wanting us to live in fear, as much as others want to save money, while others guard their trade, and you feel caught in the middle over the price of one service call.
    I’d prefer Rheem make a more customer-friendly product since competitors already offer that product for the everyday guy -or- perhaps your site tell me how to do the Rheem repair in ‘pig-latin’ or morse code so nobody else can read it.

And then you can quickly incorporate offshore and let our Navy protect your hoard of gold tax-free on that island.

Photo of Whirlpool/Craftmaster resettable FVIR from Lowes.

Ej
    Participant

With respect I am going to tell you if you can’t identify the part you need and you are going to try and replace it with a non-compatible part then no one is going to help you. What I mean when I say this is in your first post you link to a flammable vapor sensor which is designed to shut off your water heater system to prevent fires in case flammable vapors are present within the area. The picture you posted later shows an resettable over temp sensor that goes off when the burner chamber over heats. This over heat condition is not a failure of the switch but is a safety that protected your water heater because of another faulty condition. Usually one of lack of maintenance. The type of modification you want to do is not taught by Rheem nor do I suggest you try to do it.

geno03245
    Participant

Very interesting.
    Yes, what you say checks out. Whirlpool water heater label calls that a ‘thermal switch’ not a resettable FVIR, so the photo is in error.
    I will check the advertising blurb that Whirlpool has posted.
    I thought they said they have a re-settable FVIR, and that item is definitely not that.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Geno,

What island would you recommend?:cool:

Randy Schuyler

geno03245
    Participant

Cayman

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

You know, if I stay where I am, it will work out just fine. Continental drift or earthquakes are supposed to turn California into an island one day. I might be better off around Mount Shasta (which could turn into beachfront property), but my real concern is whether or not the lawyers will stay too. California currently has about one lawyer per thousand people. (North Dakota has less than 1/2 lawyer per 1000 and the District of Columbia has 27 :shock:)

Yours, Larry

geno03245
    Participant

I think in the Dakotas now, you have to check with local sheriff before suing anyone. That would cut down on about everything, well, except payoffs to the sheriff.
    Not sure how this applies to plumbing up a water heater.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Geno’s bit of artwork IS compelling. Larry, you can run Water Heater Rescue. Caymans, here I come! 😎

Randy Schuyler

geno03245
    Participant

Marker on cardboard 2002, photoshop color-enhanced 2011, for friends needing vacation.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The Caymen’s must have internet! Running WHR is way too much work from what I see 😀

Yours, Larry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page