Rheem Commercial Hot Water Heater

The Tank Rheem Commercial Hot Water Heater

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cjb2145
    Participant

My wife and I bought a lodging establishment a few months ago. There is a Rheem Commercial NG hot water heater that feeds our house, the lobby, and 2 rooms. I called Rheem to get the owner’s manual for it and I was told it’s so old that they don’t have any information in their database for it.

I have completed a google search and come up with nothing. Can anyone help me out with an owner’s manual for this unit?

I want to learn more about it as well as replace a few parts.

What I know is the label on it reads Rheemglas Commercial. 85 Gal. Natural Gas. Model: G-126-85-3 Serial #: 2706439

The link below should take you to a GDrive Folder with pictures of the unit and the info label.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hfH7KyOUhYFjSpfqP1MJ5aZ0cv5pLiPM?usp=sharing

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Normally Rheem’s serial number has a date code built into it, but yours isn’t fitting the normal style. Clearly yours is an older unit and has had flame rollout problems, but I’d call Rheem at Customer service: 1 (866) 720-2076, and see if they can help. At a minimum, you want to fix the flame rollout, and check relief valve and anodes. The plumbing around the tank is a mix of copper and steel, which causes problems, and the gate valves should be replaced with ball valves, which will make managing it easier. Hope that helps.

Yours, Larry

cjb2145
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Larry, I failed to include in the original post that I had already called Rheem and they were unable to help.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, I also had no luck finding a manual for it online. Still, there are likely things you can do to keep this heater going, if it isn’t too damaged already. What parts are you looking for? I’ve serviced many older commercial tanks with success. A big part of keeping that heater going is the anodes. You need to be able to find and check them out. It’s almost a given that they have never been checked. If you find only plugs or plugs with a bare wire, than you know the tank is rusting. I’d start simply with a look into the combustion chamber to see what sort of condition it’s in. If it is wet or has heavy rust, the heater is beyond repair.

Yours, Larry

cjb2145
    Participant

An anode would have been one part I wanted.

It makes a loud banging noise every time it fires up to heat the water so I’m not sure what parts I need to address that, this is why I wanted an owner’s manual.

The combustion chamber is not wet or heavily rusted so that’s good news!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, A loud bang on start up suggests the pilot flame is either not quite in the right position, or is too small, or both. I’d remove the pilot assembly and clean the pilot orifice to see how that works. It will probably increase the size of the pilot flame which will ignite gas from the main burner faster, avoiding that mini-explosion when it starts up.

Whether you do this or have a technician do it depends of your experience working with gas. If you haven’t done this sort of work before, I’d let a tech do it, but watch closely and ask questions!
    Yours, Larry

cjb2145
    Participant

You are spot-on Larry. I wasn’t comfortable attempting this repair, our plumber came out and confirmed the pilot was in the wrong position. He made the adjustment, cleaned out the combustion chamber, and it had been working great since his repair.

Thanks for your help!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi and thanks for letting us know how it turned out! 😎
    Yours, Larry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page