Rheem 5 LED flashes

The Tank Rheem 5 LED flashes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    spartan1971
    Participant

I am desperately hoping someone can help me out. I have a Rheem 50 gallon power vent LP water heater (43VP50SPE2) with a Honeywell gas control valve/thermostat (WV4460e). I am getting an error code on the LED light which displays 5 flashes and a 3 Second pause.

The water heater initiates the blower motor every time I start it…however, shortly after initiation of the blower motor the unit shuts down. I hear the pressure switch closing, but the water heater shuts down almost instantly after that switch closes. I have manually applied suction to assure that the pressure switch remains closed, but the unit still shuts down with the 5 flash LED code without attempting further ignition sequences.

I should note that after the unit shuts down, the blower will start up again 30 seconds later and run indefinitely with nothing further happening and no pilot light or anything… just the same 5 LED flash sequence.

I have reset the gas valve using the 7 turns from low to high after plugging power back in, but this has not solved anything for me. Does anyone have any. Experience with this? Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I found this: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-1872EF.pdf which has a troubleshooting chart on page nine. Your error code suggests a problem with the pilot/control. I still might try jumpering the pressure switch at the right time and see if that has any effect. Or take an ohm meter and see if applying suction really does make the switch work. 😉

Yours, Larry

spartan1971
    Participant

Larry,

Thank you for your response. The unit shuts down so quickly though, almost as if it is not even giving the pressure switch time to be detected.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Another thing to look at is the flame sense rod and lightly sand it with fine sandpaper (like 400) to polish it a bit. Sometimes a simple trick like that helps. Also, I found this…

Yours, Larry

spartan1971
    Participant

The problem is, the heater never gets far enough in the ignition sequence to light the pilot light. It shuts down shortly after the induction motor starts.

spartan1971
    Participant

The problem is, the heater never gets far enough in the ignition sequence to light the pilot light. It shuts down shortly after the induction motor starts.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, I went back to that pdf I sent and looked at their troubleshooting flowchart. If you could bypass or jumper around the pressure switch immediately after the inducer starts, it could be telling. I’d talk with Rheem tech help, but if the pressure switch is good, you may be looking at a new control. 😕

Yours, Larry

ishacg
    Participant

Hey Spartan,

Did you even find a resolution to your issue? I am having the EXACT same problem and the exact same controller. (wv4460e honeywell)

When I first power on the unit, the power vent will turn on for a second or two then shut off. Then, 30 or so seconds later the power vent will turn on and run indefinitely while the controller shows the 5 green blink code.

That code is supposed to signify that the controller senses a flame still, when there should not be one, and that the gas valve is potentially stuck open as the culprit. But from visual inspection, there is no flame. The pilot never tries to light the flame, etc.

To me it seems like a control board malfunction, but I’m hoping there is a cheaper fix since that boards is 150-175 dollars even on Ebay.

-George

ishacg
    Participant

Reporting back on what my resolution was in case anyone searches this on google, etc.

The short: check your ground wires, disassemble the burner/pilot assembly and clean everything, reassemble, make sure all connections tight, cables including green ground tight, reset controller (put nob to lowest temp for 6+ seconds), then cycle power.

The long:

I was getting error code 5 blinks, 4 second pause. Which usually means false flame, or flame out of sequence.

I figured the issue was either with the controller itself or the flame sensor / spark rod (all in one device on this model). Usually the spark rod fails closed, which would lead the pilot light to go out after lighting. I wondered if it was possible for the flame sensor to fail shorted, leading the controller to believe there was a flame present even when one never was.

To be clear, I never had pilot flame. To further my theory, when I disconnected the spark rod I could hear ticking, leading me to believe the issue was with the spark rod.

I dis assembled the entire burner / pilot / flame sensor assembly, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. This included using a rough cloth to clean the flame rod metal.
    Didn’t see any obvious cracks, etc. Checked the green ground wires and plugged all gas pipes back in. Reconnected all electrical, and it fired up.

Working now.

I suspect either the flame sensor was shorted to ground (hence the false flame readout)(unlikesly, since as I mentioned no cracks etc.), or the green ground wire was finiky (most likely), or the controller is on the way out and needed to be reset a few times (second most likely). just reporting back if anyone searches this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page