Rheem 40-gallon gas water heater

The Tank Rheem 40-gallon gas water heater

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I am recently having a problem with my Rheem 40-gallon gas water heater (model 21VR40-7TA). This morning, it was putting out lukewarm water, so I adjusted the temperature setting from the recommended to a little higher. The water heater kicked on. Later, I turned on a faucet for hot water, and it started out hot, then got lukewarm again. I put the temperature setting back to the recommended dot.

After about 4 hours, I turned on a faucet and the water was hot again, and stayed hot.

I believe the water heater was installed in 1995 or 96.

Does it sound like I need a whole new water heater, or perhaps just a thermostat?

Thanks for any help!

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Check out the post a few down from this one called “Light blue chips clogging aerators” or something like that.

We can’t say for certain, but it sounds as if you have a damaged or broken dip tube. The symptoms are just what you describe. Aside from posts on The Tank, there is information under Sediment, Lingo and Know-how elsewhere on the site.

The acid test, of course, is to disconnect the cold plumbing from the water heater and pull out the dip tube that came with the tank and see if it is intact.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page