Rheem 21vp50e-1A, where is the anode rod(s)?

The Tank Rheem 21vp50e-1A, where is the anode rod(s)?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #11821


    I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I want to change the rod, but I can’t find it. I was told it should be on the top, and I saw 2 round plastic covers on the top. When I opened them, all I saw was foam (and I was stupid enough trying to remove some of the foam). Maybe I am missing something, but I don’t see anything else on the top of the heater.

    Can anyone tell me where it might be (and how many does this model has)? Also, are all rods the same, or does the company have specific rods that I must buy? I think I read some where there are 2 different types, one standard one hex.


    Larry Weingarten

    Hello: Plastic plugs towards the outside edge of the top are where foam is injected for insulating the tank. There usually are two. Closer in, should be one larger plug (it may be hidden by the power vent equipment).

    You will likely still see foam under the plug, so take an ice pick or skinny screwdriver and poke around. You should be able to feel the shape of the top of the anode, if it’s there. When you find it, go ahead and remove the foam that covers it so you have good, permanent access 😉

    There are two basic types of anodes; hex plug and combination. This refers to a fitting that combines hot outlet and anode rod. There are many types of anodes, but you likely want a magnesium rod. If overhead is limited you’ll want a flexible one. There is much more anode info around this site.

    Yours, Larry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page