resetting water heater every day

The Tank resetting water heater every day

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    collinP
    Participant

I have a residential electric water heater that for some reason turns itself off every time i use it. I have to push the reset button 15-20 minutes before i want to take a shower or wash dishes in order for the water to heat up and even then it starts getting cold after 5 minutes in the shower. Any ideas on parts I can replace to avoid buying a whole new w.h.?

also, the reset button is right next to the 220 volt terminals and really sucks at 5:30 in the morning when I accidentally hit the connections instead of the reset button after I stumble out of bed to heat up the water.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I can imagine that 220 volts at 5:30 in the morning is quicker than a strong cup of coffee 😯

The button you’re pushing is the high limit reset. Usually they pop at 180 degrees. So, why is the heater overheating? Either a thermostat is not working or there could be a leak to ground in an element, which would keep it from shutting totally off. Look under “tanklets” at the top of the page and go to “electric water heater issues”. That should point you in the right direction, electrically.

The part about your shower cooling down after five minutes sounds like either a bad dip tube or a cross connection. Those are in tanklets too 😎

Yours, Larry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page