Replaced gas valve/thermostat, now pilot won't stay lit

The Tank Replaced gas valve/thermostat, now pilot won't stay lit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fredmurtz
    Participant

I have a 6 year old 50 gal. gas water heater that started running out of hot water after one 10 min. shower. I flushed the tank, checked the dip tube (it’s fine), and replaced the thermocouple without any luck, still only warm water. I just replaced the gas valve/thermostat unit with what looks like the identical model except that the new one has two metal prongs coming off of the thermocouple fitting, I asked the counter person if this would be a problem and his reply was that the prongs are for heaters with pizo-electric igniters and it would work fine on my water heater. I just hooked everything back up and now the pilot won’t stay lit, I’ve tried it several times with no luck. Was the guy who sold me this correct or are those prongs for something else? The box says “Flame Guard Gas Thermostat” and my heater isn’t a Flame Guard, would this matter?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: This is only a hunch. Try jumpering between those two prongs so electricity can easily get from one to the other, then try lighting it again. Let us know what happens if you would. It’ll be a learning experience for both of us 🙂

Yours, Larry

ps. They should have sold you the correct thermostat…

Fredmurtz
    Participant

Great minds think alike. That’s exactly what I tried and it worked! After trying to light the pilot several times without success, I grabbed a piece of copper wire from the garage and jumped the two prongs, the pilot stayed lit and the main burner fired right up. Thanks for the reply eleent, your hunch was right.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page