Replaced element and it's out again (?)

The Tank Replaced element and it's out again (?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RagTopRon
    Participant

I had a 26 gal. water heater and after 15 years of crappy well-water (full-o-sediment) I replaced it with a smaller (19 gal.) water heater… only services a dishwasher, H.E. washing machine and kitchen sink.
    Worked fine for about 6 months and then it just stopped. I thought that I had (perhaps) facilitated this failure by turning the breaker on and off when we went away for the weekend, but after replacing the element last week (fired right up)…it has happened again.
    The reset button isn’t lit (dunno if it’s suppose to) nor is it protruding as if it needs to be reset. When I press it, it’s just a little springy but no clicking or anything.
    No moisture around the reset button or any of the terminal areas.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: There is a walk through in “tanklets”, but if you have a meter, check for power above the reset button and again below it. Now turn off power and double check with the meter. Disconnect one wire from the element and using the ohms times 1000 scale check for leaks to ground from each element screw to the steel element flange. You should get no reading at all. If you do, the element is wet inside and failing. Putting the meter on ohms times one, check between the terminal screws. You should get some continuity. If you get nothing, the element is burned out.

Let us know what you find 😎

Yours, Larry

RagTopRon
    Participant

Okay… The element’s bad. But why? Why work fine for 6 months then 2 elements in 2 weeks?

Thanks

Ej
    Participant

It sounds like maybe there was air trapped in the tank when you turned the power on or incorrect voltage to the elements or wrong voltage elements.

RagTopRon
    Participant

Element (there’s only one) was identical to original.
    Incorrect voltage to the element? How’s that happen?
    I’m willing to accept the “air” theory, but would that take a week to present itself?

energyexpert
    Participant

I agree with Ej. I had a service call to check a WH not working which had been replaced two weeks earlier. Checked voltage across terminals; 240. Nameplate; 120. A sure recipe for a dead element. What’s your nameplate read?

David

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: It would be strange, but I have heard of defective elements. For the next replacement, get a different brand at a different store, or get one with something better than a tail-light warranty 😎

Yours, Larry

ps, Is there any evidence you’re getting voltage spikes?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page