Removing anode

The Tank Removing anode

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pyramid
    Participant

hey ….glad i found this forum.
    currently have a whirlpool water heater which has been giving off an awful smell.first obvious step is replacing the sacrificial anode..
    ordered the new one and its arrived..
    tried removing the old. and its pretty much impossible.
    i cant use a pipe wrench because its underneath the ‘shell’ of hte water heater. only option is a socket wrench.
    is there actually a special tool used to remove these rods that i dont know about?
    ive tried for two days, i ddnt want to remove the tank to do the job, but it looks like im goin to have to. iv tried draining the tank, using a long pipe at the end of the wrench for more torque and it just wont budge.
    any suggestions?
    thanks
    raul

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Have a look at “tanklets”, “Removing Stubborn Anodes” and also at this thread http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com/forums/forum3/2362.html. Hopefully, between those two you’ll have enough info to remove that anode 😎

Yours, Larry

pyramid
    Participant

hey thanks alot..after i posted i looked for frequent posts..and i came across tanklets..im just goin to hav to keep beating on this thing til i break it lose..thanks again for your quick reply

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If you can rent or borrow an impact wrench, that has done wonders for a number of people. If you really can’t get the anode out, go to The Basics and read the Peroxide Gambit. It’s more trouble than replacing the anode, but a lot cheaper than replacing the water heater because you can’t get the anode out.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page