Relief Valve

The Tank Relief Valve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John_Brian_K
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and have recently bought my first home. (I closed 3 days ago) The home was unoccupied when I purchased it and the hot water tank was presumeably set to vacation for the last 6 months or so. I turned it up to about warm the other day left for food came back about 2 hours later to quite a bit of water in the basement. (luckily the floor slopes to a drain.)

I noticed the water was comming out of the tube connected to the reilef valve. The water was not dripping rather running out of the tube. I cleaned it up turned the temp back down to vacation. I then turned it back up and watched it. About 25 minutes after I turned it back up it started comming out again.

My first guess was the relief valve, but is there any possibility that because it was on vacation for so long I just stressed it? I am guessing I need to replace it and if so what is the proper procedure?

Do you turn off the gas/electric first then cut the water supply then hook up a hose drain some of the water (I have heard you do not have to drain the whole tank just enough to get the water below the valve) Replace the valve and then turn electric/gas back on turn the water back on and turn the heat back up and monitor it?

Do I have this right?

Thanks for any and all help.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Seems like you know the procedure. Next you disconnect the drain line and use a pipe wrench to take off the valve. Use Teflon tape when you put in the new one.

Randy Schuyler

pgmr
    Participant

John_Brian_K wrote:

… Replace the valve and then turn electric/gas back on turn the water back on and turn the heat back up and monitor it?

I’d suggest wating until the tank is full (open a hot water tap to know) before turning it back on. Probably not too big an issue w/a gas heater, but you could burn out the upper element in an electric if it is exposed to air when turned on.

John_Brian_K
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page