reliance water heater

The Tank reliance water heater

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh
    Participant

replaced water heater because of leaks…however it did heat the water no electrical problems…new water heater will not power on. i started at the breaker box….breaker 30 amp is good. 2 wires …black and white… plus non insulated copper ground…10-2 wire…power is flowing through lines…tested at end before connecting to new water heater …once connected to water heater which has 2 wires…black and red…black to black and white to red…nothing!!!…test meter shows no current at high switch on top element…test meter shows no current where i twisted the wires together in junction box…it’s like once i connected the wires…the current just stopped.?????????????????

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: So, let me understand… You have power from the breakers in the panel, but no power at the end of the wire by the heater? Are there any other junction in the wire? There might be one at the wall by the heater. Shouldn’t be any others. Perhaps one wire is broken. Hook up your meter and start wiggling wires to see if something happens. Possibly a wire broke somewhere close to the heater as it was being installed. Check the connections at the breakers also.

I just had a similar situation where the wire was broken where it went through the floor. There was no obvious reason it failed after forty years, but it did. Can’t make assumptions! 😉

Yours, Larry

johnnyh
    Participant

i have power all the way from the breaker to the end of the wires…but when i connect the wires coming from the breaker…the power supply wires….to the wires on the water heater and then meter the connection there is no power as indicated by the light on my meter not coming on. also no power indication at high limit poles on top element thermostat.

once i make the connection at the junction box on top of water tank…the power flow stops. the connection is not hot.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: You’ve got voltage, but no amps. That says to me there is a weak/bad connection. Do you have an ammeter? If not, I’d start with connections at the breakers. Might even pull the breakers just to make sure the connections are good, and redo all connections. A little corrosion can do bad things.

Yours, Larry

johnnyh
    Participant

thanks larry that sounds like the problem. i did find that the power feed line coming from the breaker and up through the floor has a splice in it…apparently there was a low boy tank years back…when the house was reworked a higher new tank was installed and the wire must have been too short so an extra three feet was spliced on…i bet the problem is there…maybe i should just pull a new wire from the tank to the breaker?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: You could pull a new wire, but if it’s the right wire size, I’d see about putting that splice in a box and connect things up with wire nuts. It sorta fits the theory of a bad connection near the new heater. 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page