questions about WH in house I just purchased

The Tank questions about WH in house I just purchased

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kenb1271
    Participant

Found this website a couple of weeks ago while I was waiting to close on my house. I love the information provided.
    The house I am moving into has a GE Profile SmartWater Heater with a 9yr warranty. The serial number (GENG 0402126512) indicates that the water heater is 9 yrs and 1 month old. From my casual inspection of the outside of the water heater, it looks like it is in fairly good condition and I would prefer to do preventative maintenance on it to make it last.

-Is pulling the hot feed and sticking a screw driver down the only way for me to tell if this model has a combo anode in addition to the hex anode clearly installed? Is there any way to tell with a search of the model number (PG40T9HA)?
    -The white around the hex anode is corrosion, how difficult will it be to remove, inspect and replace with a new anode?
    -Any other advise anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Attached files

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If you can find a spec sheet on that model, it might show a second anode. The only other way to tell is to remove the nipple to see if it’s just a nipple or part of an anode.

As to the hex anode, no way to know until you try it. But people have had good luck with torque wrenches. Just make sure you only loosen it with the torque wrench. If you spin it all the way out, what’s left of the anode will probably break off and fall into the heater.

The combustion chamber is in good shape. I’d say you caught it at the right time.

Randy Schuyler

Ej
    Participant

This was a good heater. Only problem it ever had was caused by angle venting such has yours. The thermocouple would turn almost black and fail. A new thermocouple fixed the problem for another few years.

Also check your vent cap. I don’t recall Rheem ever using a gold cap. That is a trademark of Whirlpool. Does the cap fit into the tank slots? Hard to tell in the pic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page