Promax Plus annode configuration

The Tank Promax Plus annode configuration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kegunder
    Participant

Hello there. I’m back and ready to install another WH… this time in my new home!

I’m grateful for the info. and discussion on this site. I plan on following your tips in order to SAVE LOTS OF MONEY!!! (Even if your anodes and upgrade parts aren’t the cheapest, you’ll still be getting my business. You’re website is worth it… great business model.)

So, I’m thinking about buying a AO Smith GVR-50 – ProMax Plus Nat. Gas unit from my favorite web plumbing supply store. I see this comes w/ one AL anode. Is this a unit that provides a standalone hex anode? If not, that’s a deal breaker for me.

I assume that the diffuser dip tube in the unit will allow adequate flushing. Therefore I won’t need one of your curved dip tubes. Is that correct?

I want to have a Mg dual anode setup. I would prefer to have the anodes installed and replaced on a staggered schedule so that one was always newer than the other. That seems to be a logical way to maintain it. What would you suggest to make that happen? I think that I’d need to either run on only one anode for a while or perhaps replace one of the anode prematurely. Tough call.

Comment if my shopping list looks correct:
    SKU7 combo anode
    SKU33 solid anode
    SKU32 drain valve

Lastly, what is the minimum inner diameter of the combo anodes? Do the restrict the flow (even minimally) from a full 3/4 inch plumbed setup? This probably isn’t a issue in the typical setup, I’m sure. But, I may want to check the upper level hot water pressure as we’re toward the top of a hill.

Thank you.
    Keith

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Lots of good questions. First, yes, the Promax will accommodate two anodes. I’d never thought of staggering the anodes, but you could do that.

As to needing a curved dip tube, if you’re in a hard-water area, I think you should get one because we don’t think self-flushing dip tubes work very well. They try to make sediment float out with the hot water, but sediment is heavier than water.

Combo anodes do restrict water flow somewhat. The outlets are 1/2-inch by 3/8-inch, although there are two of them on either side of the nipple assembly. If it’s an issue, you could buy one extra-thick anode and simply check it every few years. That’s what I do with mine.

Randy Schuyler

kegunder
    Participant

Thank you Randy. I guess I misunderstood the difference in the dip tube design between yours’ and there’s. Your design is more my style.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page