Popping Noise

The Tank Popping Noise

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    UpNorth
    Participant

When the water heater is heating, there is a popping noise just before it shuts down, like air being released, in the top of the tank. It is not coming out of the pressure relief valve.
    Then we have air in our hot water lines for awhile. No air in the cold water lines.
    This happens every time the heater reheats. Thanks 🙁

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I have not met this situation before. A thought is that more info is needed and one piece in particular is water pressure. I’d like to know what the pressure is and if it changes while heating. Also, if there is a well pump, you may be losing pressure somehow, allowing air into the system. More info needed to give better guesses 😉

Yours, Larry

UpNorth
    Participant

This has been going on for about 2 years now. We did just have a new well put in. The pump comes on at 30# and shuts off at 50#. No change with the new well. No changes with water pressure when heating.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

OK. There is likely a gauge on the well equipment. Watch it under different circumstances (well pump off – high water draw, or end of heating cycle of water heater) see if it ever drops down lower than it should. Also, some wells have air injection equipment. That could be the source of the air. Around here, at the end of summer, aquifers are lower and well pumps can suck in air.

A very active anode in conductive water can produce gas as well.

Also, try using no water nearing the end of the heating cycle. Is the heater quiet? Now run some water at the end of the cycle. Does noise appear/increase? That would indicate sediment on the bottom of the heater.

There are two problems, air/gas and noise. We can’t assume both have the same cause 😉

Yours, Larry

UpNorth
    Participant

Thanks Larry, I will try some of your suggestions. You mentioned sediment in the bottom of the tank. I drain it once a year when we go south for the winter with a hose, I never have look to see if anything comes out with the water, I guess I should check closer.

May take a few days before I get back to you.

Ralph

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Have a look at the Sediment page elsewhere on the site under The Basics. Draining a tank doesn’t help much, due to its configuration. Of course, proper flushing may not halt sediment noise, either, but it will keep the buildup under control.

Randy Schuyler

UpNorth
    Participant

I have flushed my tank, I couldn’t get all the sediment out, will flush again, but it has reduced the popping noise some.

An appliance dealer in town, said that it was because of sediment in the tank.

Thanks, Ralph

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Again, because the bottom of the tank is domed, and because the standard dip tube is straight, flushing doesn’t help much. Most of the sediment stays put. The curved dip tube we sell gets more sediment out by forcing the water to swirl around the bottom, but it probably won’t get it all out.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page